Any ideas about this one?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

Any ideas about this one?

Post by PeterN »

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Re: Any ideas about this one?

Post by waue1978 »

Possible battery/charging problem? Not sure how relevant it is, but only time mine ever flashed the "ECONOMY MODE ACTIVE" message was when I'd clean it & leave the stereo on for a few hours & I think economy mode is its way of preventing the battery going flat.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I wondered that, I know economy mode is nothing to do with starting but power saving but don't know why it should stop it from starting unless of course the battery is flat, but I thought he would have checked. Really need some more information. I would like to have a look at it but its about 250 miles from here, I still might be tempted though.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Peter, I've been watching this one too.

The economy mode isn't the problem - it will go when the car starts - but the seller says the car won't start and this is the problem - why?
The immobilizer is on, according to the description, so a flat battery may have made the car lose sync with the key.

If you turn up with a good battery and PP2000 ( with the PIN number for resync if its available ) you will get it started :cheesy: Maybe a local member can meet you there?

Otherwise it looks okay, a good scrub and a service - There is an identical car down the road from me and I really like it.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Hi Ginger

I just got an email from him, told him to try disconnecting the battery for a bit. If he wasn't so far away I would go up there on the off chance, I have bought cars from further afield. He says if it doesn't sell he will get it fixed again, doesn't appear from the bill that anything was done other than reprogramming.

I have a Lexia but its not working at the moment, or maybe the laptop doesn't agree with it. I somehow think he would take a dim view of someone starting it and driving away. :wink: Says no one has been to look at it yet.

There have been quite a few cheap ones lately but nearly always at the other end of the country.

Peter