Side lights randomly work and then don't

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

D4B
2.0 16v

Side lights randomly work and then don't

Post by D4B »

More recently..... don't!!

I have done a BSi reset several times as found elsewhere on this fantastic forum, it seems to work for a few minutes and then they don't work again.

Could it be a COM2000 perhaps? Has anyone here had this happen on their D9 406?

It's a 406 2002 2.0 HDi Rapier Estate

Any suggestions very much appreciated as always 8)
My other Peugeot was a D4B
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Re: Side lights randomly work and then don't

Post by jonsowman »

In what way don't they work?

If you up them on, do they turn on and off at intervals? Or do they not come on at all?

Are they on when the main beams are on?
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
D4B
2.0 16v

Post by D4B »

The side light circuit seems to randomly lose it's feed, so front and rear side lights don't work no matter if the headlamps are on or not.
PP2000 was no help as it cannot communicate with the BSi for some reason, so it showed no fault codes that were relevant.

However, if I do a BSi reset, the side lights will work, but sometimes flicker, and before long go out all together.

The mystery continues.....
D4B
2.0 16v

Post by D4B »

An update,

as per in the thread "garden tidy 406 estates"

I replaced the COM2000 with a good replacement unit, job was a good'un, until today, when after disconnecting the battery (using the correct procedure)
to replace the ciggy lighter, upon reconnecting,(using the correct procedure) side lights gone again, even after another BSi reboot, still no side lights front or rear......

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks Steve
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Mysterious.

PP2000 would help here, to determine where the fault is. It could tell you the position of the lights command on the stalk, and activate the lights without using the stalk.

The sidelights on my V6 coupe didn't work when I got it. I replaced the COM2000 and everything was fine for a few weeks until they stopped again. This turned out to be a leaky heater matrix causing the air coming out of the blower vents to be very humid. This blows, as you might have guessed, directly over the lights stalk, which was causing condensation and corrosion of the contacts inside it. I hope this isn't your problem but the symptoms are certainly similar!
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

So you have no tail lights? :shock:

I've been squinting at Sedre for over an hour, it doesn't actually show how the tail lights are fed (induction?) but I'm thinking they're actually tied in with the headlamp feeds, which is all it shows feeding from the fuse panel. The feeds in the fuse panel just run in and out via the fuse but it's not telling me where they come from before the fuse panel, however I can only think it comes from the BSI :( As usual, there's no diagrams for the connection between the BSI and BM34 (passenger fuse panel), although it's not MUX, There are no wire codes on the connectors either end, so I can't follow them that way either :frown:

I've only had brief experience of Peugeot Planet but I think it should be able to tell you if it's seeing the information from the switch and should be able to turn the lights on. I hope that, with a bit more information, we might have a better chance of figuring this one out.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
D4B
2.0 16v

Post by D4B »

Thanks for taking the time everyone..... I am using the car to tow a trailer long distance this weekend, daytime only, but if the weather turns bad,
ie I need tail lights, I may have to call out the recovery peoples, after all it's about time they earnt their annual fee bearing in mind I have been a subscriber of theirs
for 22 years now!

Longer term, I am not risking investing in countless COM2000's so the future for this car might be limited unfortunately :(

Shame coz it has served us very well (and has cost us about £3k all in!)

Cheers Steve
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Hi.
Have you got a multi-meter?.

When the sidelights loose's its feed..which?
Positive /negative?

If it's negative perhaps splice in a secondary earth feed?

Is there a tow bar fitted..?

Maybe worth looking into that if so..

Radio..is it aftermarket?.

Bulb holders & clusters are they all good?.

The drivers footwell wiring /connectors .might be worth looking at too
D4B
2.0 16v

Post by D4B »

cheers Lozz, it's an original radio, haven't looked at the divers footwell wires yet, so that could be next.

But, went out to it today, and as if by magic, I had side lights again ! ? !