One door no longer triggers the interior lights

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

8Jb9
2.0 16v

One door no longer triggers the interior lights

Post by 8Jb9 »

Hi.

My rear left door has stopped triggering the interior lights (or the MFD message about open door for that matter). All the other doors work as intended, both giving a warning and the cabin lights. I guess the switch is somewhere inside the locking mechanisms? Perhaps I could figure it out if I had the wiring diagram over the in-door connector, maybe a wire is broken?

The car is a D9 V6 pre-mux saloon.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: One door no longer triggers the interior lights

Post by PeterN »

I would think there should be a switch there somewhere, hopefully someone will be along shortly to tell you where it is.

Peter
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It's in the door lock :frown:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Agreed. The only drawing I could find bizarely only shows one front door & one rear door, so doesn't directly give the connector pin no.s the OP needs. :frown:

Here: https://www.petrila.net/repair/index.htm

Maybe someone else has a better drawing?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

Thanks Doggy, there was a diagram there I can use - at least as a starting point.

Hopefully I won't have to mess with the water membrane to fix my issue...
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

8Jb9 wrote:The car is a D9 V6 pre-mux saloon.
By the by, all D9s are mux, they just got loads more of it in 2001.

Sadly there's nowhere to break the wiring by the door (there is on a full-mux).
I guess that's the switch on the left. M will be the earth (I think MC%% is in the footwell) so the other wire heads off to the BSI. I'm not sure how the switching's done but I suspect it'll only earth when the door is open ('cos that's how they used to work before everyone started adding all the stupid electronics), which would follow if you can still lock the door with the central locking.

Where to start though. You can probably get to the wires where they go into the door pillar but Pug only seem to print the codes on the wires near the ends. Or pull the trim off the door post and see if you can get to them inside. I hope it's easy to spot as disturbing the membrane is a real pain.
Attachments
SM door lhrsw.jpg
(10.79 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

I had the same issue with a 1999 D9 and i took out the actuator on the door lock and cleaned the contacts with a nail file. It worked perfect for me after. There is a post somewhere on this.
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

scoopey: I'll have to look into that! Do you refer to the contacts of the connector then, or? As it happens mine is also a '99.

Thanks for the additional input, Steve.
steve_earwig wrote:
8Jb9 wrote:The car is a D9 V6 pre-mux saloon.
By the by, all D9s are mux, they just got loads more of it in 2001.
Yes, I guess semi-mux or van-mux is more commonly used :-)
Sadly there's nowhere to break the wiring by the door (there is on a full-mux).
I guess that's the switch on the left. M will be the earth (I think MC%% is in the footwell) so the other wire heads off to the BSI. I'm not sure how the switching's done but I suspect it'll only earth when the door is open ('cos that's how they used to work before everyone started adding all the stupid electronics), which would follow if you can still lock the door with the central locking.

Where to start though. You can probably get to the wires where they go into the door pillar but Pug only seem to print the codes on the wires near the ends. Or pull the trim off the door post and see if you can get to them inside. I hope it's easy to spot as disturbing the membrane is a real pain.
Ah, bugger. I hoped there would be a connector right at the rubber-thingy between the door and the pillar, as on the Ms's 206. I have that door wide open with the membrane off and everything for a respray, hence knowing how much of a pain that membrane is (and I helped change a friend's checkstrap the other day on a 406 as well).

Without the connector i guess I have to get to the lock itself and check for voltage/continuity at the lock on the two pins that go to the light-switch - preferably without disconnecting the BSI on the other end.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Never tried a rear door lock, but you can change the front ones without peeling back too much of the membrane.
Awkward disconnecting / reconnecting all the linkages tho.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Post by fattail95 »

Slightly off topic, but I've never understood the differences between semi-mux and full-mux cars. Anyone care to highlight them for me please? :)
2001/Y Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Saloon
150hp/330nm Powerflow stainless exhaust Kevlar clutch Cat delete EGR & Doser delete Leather interior Windows tinted Cruise control 5 dial cluster Yatour bluetooth Starfish alloys Twin rear fogs
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

It's the contacts on the actuator and plug in beside the lock. You will have to take off the door card, peel back the door seal and remove some of the linkages to get to it. It should be obvious enough when you see it. It's a white plastic thing rectangular in shape.On mine the contacts had corroded with moisture.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

fattail95 wrote:Slightly off topic, but I've never understood the differences between semi-mux and full-mux cars. Anyone care to highlight them for me please? :)
We call early D9's "semi-mux" to distinguish them from the later cars but they're both muxed, just the later cars (after RPO9001, July 2001 somewhere) got a lot more of it (e.g. com2000). I reckon it's a lot clearer than just saying "early D9" and avoids assumptions by the likes of motoring journos who can't be bothered to find out (I'm looking at you "Honest" John :frown: )

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Don't worry too much about removing the membrane, just heat up the bonding putty with a hair dryer until warm and soft
You can then carefully peal it back & replace with out to much bother.
Hope this helps DDD
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote:Don't worry too much about removing the membrane, just heat up the bonding putty with a hair dryer until warm and soft
You can then carefully peal it back & replace with out to much bother.
Hope this helps DDD
Thanks - definitely worth a try! In my most recent trip behind the membrane (3 different doors in the recent 2 months...) I cut it open, then squeezed it back together again when done - but maybe it works better if it's warmed up.
deMarcel
1.6 8v

Post by deMarcel »

do the saloon / estate 406 have a door light on their door cars (puddle lights)? The coupe does, and when I had a blown bulb in it, it wouldn't turn on interior lights and MFD door open message either, bulb replaced, problem solved. This was on a 2000 D9 Coupe. :cheesy:
Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Prins VSI LPG, galileo green

Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Vialle LPG, polaris blue

Coupe 3.0 ES9J4S automatic, settant anni no. 0076, hades grey