can anyone help with diagnostic on old 406?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

duke
1.8 8v

can anyone help with diagnostic on old 406?

Post by duke »

hi all i am duke i am the long time owner of an ancient 406 lx 1.8 16v petrol mk1 1997 i am in south east england and am having a lot of trouble finding someone who still has the old peugeot plug for the diag socket im told its possibly an old lexia system or a bosch? the socket is on rh side of steering wheel along with the immobiliser key pad so if anyone still has the right kit i would be very grateful as this car is used for carrying my disabled partner and wheelchair and has towbar for our little caravan,due to limmited funds i really need to get this car through another mot but have emission issues at fast idle test so need diagnostic urgent,thanks for any replies,peace
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: can anyone help with diagnostic on old 406?

Post by Doggy »

Hi I may have the one you need in my PP2000 kit and have never used it.
If you can post a picture of your socket and it's a match, you can have it.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

Doggy wrote:Hi I may have the one you need in my PP2000 kit and have never used it.
If you can post a picture of your socket and it's a match, you can have it.
hi doggy that would be great i shall get a pic asap and pray!i am getting fed up with garages who all say yes we can do it then when you get there they find they cant do it saying its to old,only nearly 20 years not that old, :cheesy: thanks for reply
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

If its a brown plug - I also have one ( somewhere safe probably... )
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

Yep me too

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

diag socket 003.JPG
(80.31 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
diag socket 001.JPG
(87.43 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
hi all thanks very much for replies im getting severe earache here from mrs over this sodding car!im sure it is mechanically sound and just needs something im so far missing anyhow this is the socket and yes its brown!question is can anyone please help and carry out diagnostic test and set stepper motor etc i am not rich can pay a reasonable charge to save the old girl for another year or 2 only 166000 miles a spring chicken really,pics im in southeast near crawley if that helps and car is driveable,thanks
deMarcel
1.6 8v

Post by deMarcel »

this might be of help to you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Pin-to-30- ... Sw~gRVwyuS

might take a while from Hong Kong though :roll:
Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Prins VSI LPG, galileo green

Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Vialle LPG, polaris blue

Coupe 3.0 ES9J4S automatic, settant anni no. 0076, hades grey
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

deMarcel wrote:this might be of help to you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Pin-to-30- ... Sw~gRVwyuS

hi i really need the whole machine as well i been umming and arring not sure and fed up with garages saying yes we can do it till you get there and then they say no,even sent them photo of the socket idk what else you ca do,i see this kit on ebay but is it right and will it work on windows 7 and to be honest if i spend £50 on the kit and still cant sort it i think my better half will skin me alive!this is the one i found looks right brown plug in the kit but is it any good? any advice from anyone very welcome,thanks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182059464179? ... EBIDX%3AIT
deMarcel
1.6 8v

deMarcel

Post by deMarcel »

duke wrote:
deMarcel wrote:this might be of help to you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Pin-to-30- ... Sw~gRVwyuS

hi i really need the whole machine as well i been umming and arring not sure and fed up with garages saying yes we can do it till you get there and then they say no,even sent them photo of the socket idk what else you ca do,i see this kit on ebay but is it right and will it work on windows 7 and to be honest if i spend £50 on the kit and still cant sort it i think my better half will skin me alive!this is the one i found looks right brown plug in the kit but is it any good? any advice from anyone very welcome,thanks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182059464179? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Yes this is the right kit and even contains the old socket you need. It depends on the software version if it will work on Win7 though, most kits only work properly on Win XP, but you can always set up a virtual machine on your Win 7 system which then runs a system in the system (systemception) on win XP :)
Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Prins VSI LPG, galileo green

Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Vialle LPG, polaris blue

Coupe 3.0 ES9J4S automatic, settant anni no. 0076, hades grey
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all well i couldnt afford the machine and decided to just take it for the mot and see what happens as this is a 20 year old 167000 miles and reliable but has a misfire on no1 cyl despite changing i think every sensor on the car and the ecu a new set of injectors complete exhaust cat etc along with the usual service items ensuring correct spark plugs and new coil pack but all that did was shift the rev range that the misfire occurs on luckily away from the fast idle test range so she passed this time on emissions despite still misfiring on tickover (new stepper motor) so misfire remains!but it only failed on headlamps which really have been worn out for ages and a boot on the lower balljoint,these are rubbish from peugeot and the protective boot has splits at 18 months since replacement,shoddy imo. but after a long search on fleabay i located a pair of headlamps and heres a little tip if you have a balljoint boot split if the joint is in good condition i found you can repair the boot using amalgamating tape of good quality and simply wrap tightly the existing boot without dismantling it though jacking and axle stands make it easier and the vulcanised rubber lasts for many years :oops: dont tell anyone its secret,bless the 20 year old pugs!
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

You're not far from me - Dorking.

I don't have the brown connector, perhaps if you get one (or someone can donate one) you could bring it over and we'll stick it on Planet.
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Jon,

You can have mine if you want it, just let me know and I'll post it.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

jonsowman wrote:You're not far from me - Dorking.

I don't have the brown connector, perhaps if you get one (or someone can donate one) you could bring it over and we'll stick it on Planet.
wow thanks that would be great i shall order a lead to keep and after i do the headlamps and get the retest mot i shall pm you if thats ok,its a nice drive out to surrey from horsham anyway and after all the effort i have put in on the pug over a nearly 5 years it would be good to find the cause of the misfire and if possible set the stepper motor as its a pain the tickover is to low and lumpy but on the bright side it still reliable car fits the wifes wheelchair,the dogs the grankids and still tows a smallish caravan ok and in 5 years has broken down once due to worn brushes in the starter motor which i have since rebuilt,i was a vw mechanic for many years so most of it crosses over to other makes but this is a m1 and imo a bit of a mishmash of components ill fitted as an afterthought with some truly silly bits of design ie that stupid air intake that seems designed to suck up puddles into the engine! anyway thanks and i shall pm when i get the lead,bless you mark
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi just come for a moan!the first of my headlamps came today as i had to order from seperate suppliers so its meant to be the o/s and is n/s in box!this after the seller and i have sent every detail and photos back and forward but typical the o/s is the one that i really need so now i will have 2 n/s and no o/s all because of slack work imo as when i was for many years in the car spares field often sending goods overseas and allways without fail would check the item was not only undamaged but of the correct side esp with headlamps etc as there nothing more annoying than waiting for a crucial part only to find it broken or incorrect!of the ebay again, :cry:
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Sorry to hear of the headlight woes, but yes do message me when you're ready and we'll sort out a suitable time.
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey