"Fuel Tank Access open" failure after rain?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bjarneec

"Fuel Tank Access open" failure after rain?

Post by bjarneec »

Hi Peeps. a long post incoming :P

Asking for some help, as i'm really confused. After some heavy rain(and rain all day long) yesterday, when I started driving, then the Airbag failure came up and right after abs failure. Then after driving about 10 minutes, the "Fuel Tank Acces open" failure keeps going on/off several times. Then disappears for som minutes and then returns. It's pretty annoying as the "beb beb" comes everytime, and its 10/15 times like the switch is going on/off with 0,5 seconds interval. It have never showed any of these failures before, so i'm thinking it's the rain as I could hear a lot of water in the sill/frame under the car in drivers side. Is it possible that theres is a abs failure (broken ring or something) and it then shortens out to the other failures, as the light/failures often comes when changing speed and braking and the lights are not showing when starting the car but first if I brake or accelerating. Where is the connector to the fuel access door located so I can disable that noise until I have time to investegate?
Thanks a lot :)

And by the way . Can I take off the abs computer to test and see if its all related to abs failure, and drive with it disconnected?

Peugeot 406 stationcar 1.8, 2004.

Best regards, Bjarne
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: "Fuel Tank Access open" failure after rain?

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there, welcome :cheesy:

I think some water has got into your elecrtics, have a look at this post - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12118&p=107150#p107150
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
bjarneec

Post by bjarneec »

Thanks a lot! Sounds just like my failures...now its not turning ignition off when key is taking out, flashing a lot of failures in MDF... but its goinf off if I put it in reverse gear or tabs the brake pedal..whaat! :shock:
Will look under the floor mat when I "hopefully" is home again...
bjarneec

Post by bjarneec »

steve_earwig wrote:Hi there, welcome :cheesy:

I think some water has got into your elecrtics, have a look at this post - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12118&p=107150#p107150
Just took a look - a lot of water under the mat and the connectors are wet too. Took them out of the wet, and hopefully it can drive home so I can clean the connectors. Can I take all the connectors apart, or do I have to take battery out before?

THANKS!!
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I don't think you'll be able to drive it with it all disconnected I'm afraid, there is a lot of vital stuff there.

Best to disconnect the battery when you sort it, there will be lives there which you don't want flapping about. Also, before you disconnect the battery you have to let the car sit for 3 minutes (bonnet open but without opening the doors) to let the systems hibernate.

bjarneec

Post by bjarneec »

Thank you very much! Took the connectors out of the "sea" and only failure was ABS failure. Is the ABS connector one of the 4/5 connectors under the mat? It says failure on borh rear wheels, so Think its cause of water - but THANK YOU SO FAR! No need to buy new car yet :cheesy:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I'd have thought so. This is where the wiring diagrams say the harnesses connect:
That's a black 16-way connector, was there one of those?

bjarneec

Post by bjarneec »

Yes, there is a black 16 connector with red "locks". I think you saved for REALLY REALLY MUCH time!! THANK YOU!!! Next step is to get the carpet off - doesn't seems that there is an easy way to do that. But carpet lifted halfway up and a heater is drying some of it now. THANK YOU REALLY MUCH!!! :P :P :P
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Hopefully it'll do the trick, at least until you can dry everything out properly. The next worry is corrosion heading off up the wires and causing more mayhem. Some sort of water repellent grease/spray would help too.

You're most welcome, helping each other is what the forum is for!

dragunas
1.6 8v

Post by dragunas »

Stewe, can you tell me where you get this wiring harness diagram from? I have Sedre, but never saw diagram like this. It may be helpfull to find bsi pinouts. Thank you
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah, I'm not sure which diagrams you're looking at - semi- or full-mux but this detail is only on the full-mux diagrams.On the left you get principle (wiring diagrams) and wiring (cables, connectors and equipment diagrams), which I think will give you the pin-outs (although they won't tell you which is pin 1 :roll: ). On full-mux you only get the synopsis but if you click on something clickable you get electrical (block diagrams), connections (pin-outs, sort of) and installation, which is what I posted above.

dragunas
1.6 8v

Post by dragunas »

Yeah, I was looking for semi-mux 2001 D9. Thank you, trying other ways.