intermittent non starting

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

straggler
1.8 16v

intermittent non starting

Post by straggler »

I have a 96 XUDT and it's just developed a fault. Twice it has refused to start. It will turn over but not fire. There's no spluttering or coughing so I suspect that it may be an electrical fault. After removing and replacing ECU and immobiliser fuses plus disconnecting and reconnecting the battery it fired up and ran with no issues (including switching off and back on again a few times over the course of an hour or so driving). It was fine the following day but did the same today. This time I just disconnected and reconnected the battery and it fired up. I drove about 120 miles (including about 6 stops) and no problems.

There are no warning lights showing and once it's going it's fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: intermittent non starting

Post by steve_earwig »

The double relays were famously* (although not altogether undeservedly) unreliable on D8's. The one in the box with the ecu. One relay runs the ecu, the other the fuel pump.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
straggler
1.8 16v

Post by straggler »

steve_earwig wrote:The double relays were famously* (although not altogether undeservedly) unreliable on D8's. The one in the box with the ecu. One relay runs the ecu, the other the fuel pump.
Is a D8 the same as a 1.9 XUDT?

Are those the relays next to the fuses under the bonnet? Is it worth giving the contacts a clean and a squirt with WD40, do you think? Or are they easy (and cheap!) to replace?

On reading the handbook it says that if the battery has been disconnected (which it has) then turning the ignition on and leaving it for 10 seconds resets everything. I did that last night so will wait a bit and see if she fires up.....
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

406 D8 1996 - 1999, D9 1999 - 2004
straggler wrote:Are those the relays next to the fuses under the bonnet?
It's 2 relays in one, in the box with the engine management ecu. I'm not sure if it's easy to open, worth a try anyway. No idea how much they cost, don't buy one from Pug anyway. A factors would know what you're talking about.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
straggler
1.8 16v

Post by straggler »

I had a good look round and everything and noticed in the manual there's a procedure to reset the ECU when the battery has been disconnected - switch on the ignition and wait ten seconds before starting the engine. I did this and have used the car several times (with about 20 starts) and no more problems. I'll use it for another week or so before declaring victory but I'm quietly optimistic!

Have another problem but I will start a new thread.