Sidelights won't turn off

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Lauraj

Sidelights won't turn off

Post by Lauraj »

Hi guys

Back story. Had car in airport parking for 2 weeks. While we were away battery went flat. They jump started and electrical issues have been a pain since. Can't use key fob for central locking, stereo stick controls no longer working. Have tried bsi reboot numerous times to no avail. Thursday night all rear lights were off but came back the next morning. Last night sidelights wouldn't go off at all. Had to disconnect battery overnight (followed disconnect procedure)

Had rac out today, and bless him he tried everything, and the only thing that would get the lights to turn off (other than the fuses that power them) was when he pulled green plug out of the bsi unit that's in the drivers footwell. Am so so annoyed as we've not ever had any issues before getting car back from the parking lot! :(

Any ideas before I go shelling out for new bsi??
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Sidelights won't turn off

Post by Doggy »

Hi & welcome aboard. 8)

Try adding your location, someone nearby might be able to help......
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Wet connectors under the carpet? Seems a bit of a long shot though, I think whoever jump started your car fried the bsi :frown:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Laura, sorry about the late response....

My friend David had exactly the same issue, his car was left at an airport for 3 weeks and wouldn't start upon return.

Prior to this though, the wipers and headlights were playing up a bit, sometimes they would work on their own - but after the battery died at the airport his car was immobilised.

Originally I assumed it was a dodgy comms unit ( indicators/wipers/stereo controls combo ) as the headlights were on constantly, but after swapping it over it hadn't fixed it.

I didn't originally check under the carpet as the car was bone dry, no damp, no water trails or anything - but after being 'prompted' to check David actually pulled out over 2 litres of water from under the carpet..!!

The connectors were damp and corroded, so the connector was removed and the wires soldered together and the car started - everything back to normal.

Good luck - hope you manage to fix it.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.