Battery current at rest

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Battery current at rest

Post by PeterN »

Hi Paul

Thank you very much for that, just the information I needed, I will make a note of it in the manual. I obviously have a fault on both cars, I will start by checking for alternator leakage as I have come across that before.

Thanks again

Peter
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

Doggy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 pm That suggests an 096, (75Ah) battery should still have 50% capacity after 750 hours or about a month at a 50mA discharge rate.
Obviously the chances of it still starting the car will vary according to temperature, but 3 - 4 weeks in the summer shouldn't be a problem.

To be fair my bro's current 110 HDi doesn't seem to be able to manage a week, but his previous 3 406's and both of mine never had any issues.
To be honest a lead-acid at 50% capacity will generally struggle to start a car no matter what the weather - the voltage drop at that kind of charge level is much higher than when you put it under load at higher charges.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Battery current at rest - Update

Post by PeterN »

I tested my car again today, the current draw was over an amp at first then dropped to 600ma, I disconnected the alternator and it made no difference but when I looked at the meter again it had dropped to 96ma, I reset it and checked again sometime later, still 96ma, not what it should be but considerably better than before and the car started instantly although it had not been used for nearly a week.

The only theory I have is that the car was damp, it doesn't get used much and I could see condensation on the inside of the windows but its dried out this week. It was damp that led to the ruin of my first 406, mechanically it was fine at 246k miles but it went into permanent lockout after it was left damp for sometime. This doesn't account for the excess current on my wife's car which is used most days - perhaps that is the alternator.

Peter
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

frog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 am Maybe it is better to connect the multimeter first, then disconnect the battery. In this way, the current is never really cut, but just re-routed via the multimeter.

After measuring, reconnect the battery first, then disconnect the multimeter.

This procedure will save you from having a disconnected battery altogether, which seems to give a chance of damaging the electronics (inside the BSI box). I read various postings indicating that even if the 3-minutes procedure is followed, the BSI has a possibility of losing its memory.

I was wondering whether something like this should be possible.
(Please excuse the slight hijack; following with interest as we have a 307cc that's dead after a couple of days.)

The trick to it will be connecting the multimeter to the battery terminal before removing the cable from the car. Any more specific tips?

Maybe
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272971602863
or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192187556199
could be clipped on underneath the car terminal after it is unclipped and before it is removed?

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

Sure, if it fits underneath the car terminal. If there is not enough space you might use a piece of solid copper wire that you wrap firmly around the battery pole underneath the terminal. You could then tighten the wire by twisting its ends with a set of pliers. The twised wire ends can be used to clip a small crocodile clip onto.

Use the resistor measurement function (Ohm) of the multimeter first to check if there is firm contact between the copper wire and the battery pole.

Be careful to use only tools (pliers) with insulated grips. The voltage of the car battery is low, you can touch it safely. But a car battery can deliver enormous currents. When the + and - pole are connected e.g. via a metal tool, it will go red hot!
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.