Peugeot 406 Coupe EV conversion

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

arber333
1.8 16v

Re: Peugeot 406 Coupe EV conversion

Post by arber333 »

frog wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 pm Wow! Good job! :cheesy:
I can understand the increase of power from 110 km/h to 130 km/h, but going to 149 kW for 150 km/h seems too much. My 110 HDI is 110 HP (duh) so 80 kW, and it can easily do 150 km/h
Engine Cooling.png
Yes well 150kW was drained at hard acceleration up to 150km/h where i ran out of straight road. I still need to go out with an app to measure drag run.
But as i understand i imposed RPM limit to the motor at 10500rpm so it wouldnt tax the battery too much since at this speed it it deep into field weakening and heat buildup. I assume this is at 160km/h somewhere. I think this is enough speed fpr EV. Id rather want to improve acceleration.
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

Last time i went on the highway and drove some 40km to a friend and charged there. Remember i have my temp gauge wired with some parallel resistance to create higher temp. That way dry temp sensor alarm wouldnt get me at start. When i leaned over and touched the coolant hose leading to radiator i was shocked! It was hot. Luckily it was not hot enough to fault the inverter.
Now i am playing with cooling fans controls. I see the logic behind a two fan start. First they start slow and then relays click! Now fans start to run at full speed which is quite loud.
I also found out that i can trigger start behaviour with the 4th contact on pressostat. If i give it 12V it will start fans and if i pull it they will stop.

Now in practical terms i have 3x relays between fans. I experimented with taking them offline and figured which relay was for which function. In the end i cut positive control wires to two relays and now with a single pressostat wire i can start both fans at 1/2 speed. Though full speed is not available anymore i think i will be good with half rpm. It is much quieter and lower 12V consumption.
Attachments
IMG_20200917_172604.jpg
IMG_20200917_175942.jpg
IMG_20200917_175956.jpg
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

Hi everyone

I am dealing with small stuff now. I see i need to replace the cassette radio with more modern version and i am looking for a unit that will let me connect remote controls as well as JVC amplifier in the back. I have seen an Alpine UTE-200BT supposedly has a kit that will work? Any suggestion?

On second note my LCD screen wont be reset. I meant to setup date and time and i dont know how. Can anyone suggest how to set the time? I have the newer model without buttons.

tnx

A
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

Another thing... i went to drive and recorded a kind of 0 - 60 test. I see the car can do at least 9s, good deal of that was lost on takeoff from start.
There is some shaking on start when motor cant decide to which side is pointed to. After this is overcome (1s or so) acceleration is really smooth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kizh3WbE2yM&t=25s
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

I found the correct AC signal wires. When i connect pressostat pins to 12V positive wire comes high to 12V and fans start to rotate. If i then play with climate settings i can shut the signal off or on.
But when i tried to add this signal to inverter brain i noticed nothing happens. This probably means i forgot to connect the throttle connector for the small controler. Well eventually i will go and take front batteries apart and at the same time open inverter and look about.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I watched the video, the speed increases in a nice linear fashion - exactly what you'd expect from an EV 8)

Well done so far on this project!
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It's witchcraft I tells ya :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

I consider whichcraft when all of them relays start to chatter when i want to start my car!!! :shock:
Or the way immobilizer "works - or it doestnt work" when i give the signal "motor running"

I tell you black magic!
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

OK, now i botched it!
I was trying to turn my oil temp and level sensor on a lath so that i would reduce its crossection and fit it to my Webasto fuel tank. This would then show me fuel level whenever i would start in the morning so i would know to refill oil for the next day.
I trimmed the sensor shaft down OK, but when i wanted to make a groove for O ring knife breached the brass wall and my sensor fell apart. I tried to glue it together with silicone but its too soft. I will have to get another one.

Does anyone know what is that sensor P/N? I cant seem to find it under "3.0 Oil level sensor".

tnx
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

arber333 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:50 pmDoes anyone know what is that sensor P/N? I cant seem to find it under "3.0 Oil level sensor".
I found part no. 1131F3 on my "DocBackup" disc:

Seems difficult to find a source of this part... It is listed here and there, e.g. here but not easy to find a webshop simply selling the part. Will let you know if I manage to find one later.
Attachments
Engine oil sump filter probe.png
(291.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

Found this one: https://www.heryedek.com/yag-seviye-mus ... 70228.html
Maybe you'll find a source closer to you...
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

frog wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:46 am Found this one: https://www.heryedek.com/yag-seviye-mus ... 70228.html
Maybe you'll find a source closer to you...
Tnx Frog

I found out that sensor can be bought for like 200€!!! :shock:
Next I tried several times to glue it together using engine gasket silicone and it wouldnt work. It was sort of OK, but not really sturda.
Finally i I managed to scrap out the silicone and went to solder the two halfhs together. Plummers paste BrazeTec helped me greatly.
I had to get my iron very hot, close to 500deg and paste and zinc would merge both halfhs of the brass cilinders. I needed to put it back to the lathe for a light touch so i made it more rounded. Now it goes in the canister flange and is really sturdy.
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

I managed to get my fuel gage needle inside the dash working with my digital SOC meter. It seemed a bit illogical setup but i quickly figured out EU cars are a bit different in fuel gage than US or Japan. Now i get about 230km range and enough visual warninig when i come to 20% fuel state.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... age-drive/
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

I have made some small progress with mounting underbody panels that shield the central channel and both chargers under the rear seats from splash and sand. I used 2mm alu sheet metal recurved a bit to fit under the body. I used selfdrilling screws with larger head and original M6 underbody studs.

This weekend i made a simple flat mount for my Prius AC compressor. I mounted compressor in the horizontal position and connected hoses.
A friend made/crimped flexible hoses for AC using standard hydraulic joints which allows me to take hoses apart and afix them where they wont get chaffed.
AC compressor test on my workbench was succesfull and i can proceed with installation and calibration of the small aux inverter.

I see AC and presostat respond to AC ON request with turning on the AC clutch output and after few seconds it turns on the cooling fans in front.
My AUX inverter will start with the start of the main drive inverter. It will also be slaved to its RESET signal and SETUP signal. This will allow me to only have two inputs/buttons in my car.
I will use that 12V AC clutch signal to raise my AUX drive "throttle" from 0.3V up to 3.4V via a resistor + capacitor circuit (low ratio RC).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0wZcXttehc

Since Lebowski drive is torque control FOC, compressor revs will be allowed to raise up to some preset RPM which are set reasonable. Torque will be adjusted automatically according to compressor load, up to a point - amps load on compressor motor. When i have the thing operational i intend to test the setup and adjust the power/RPM relation to suit AC demand.
Pics follow...
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oooh, more progress :cheesy: Not that I understand much of it, you might be fitting a nuclear reactor into a fridge...

I searched Lebowski, guess what I got :roll: Ok, better search term later, it seems to be a vfd/electronic governor watching back EMF https://github.com/casainho/Lebowski-controller-IC - it's all clever stuff.

Oooh, you have a wine press, now that's technology I can understand :oops:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.