immobiliser/engine cut out switch

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

straggler
1.8 16v

immobiliser/engine cut out switch

Post by straggler »

Hi all,

I have a very intermittent problem with my 96 XUDT which I originally thought was the cut off switch on the bulkhead (the one that's supposed to kill everything in the event of an accident). I replaced the switch but I still get issues.

The problem is pretty basic - every now and again the car won't start! I thought it might be the switch as after much fiddling I could hear the fuel pump kick in again when I pressed the switch. The car then started and ran with no problems. The penultimate time I had to disconnect and reconnect the switch to get it going. Last time I had to disconnect the switch and bridge the two wires. And then I had my possible eureka moment. The last two times it happened I had recently moved the car by letting the handbrake off and rolling it backwards a few yards. I didn't have the ignition on when I did this (I may well have done this the other three times it has happened but can't be sure). Could this have triggered the anti-theft gubbins? If so, is there a way of resetting things in case it happens again? In the meantime, I am trying not to move the car with the engine off!

Cheers!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: immobiliser/engine cut out switch

Post by Doggy »

When it doesn't start, what's happening - does the starter spin it over and the engine fail to fire, or does the starter not operate?

XUDT's normally only have the engine driven injection pump to draw fuel from the tank, (No lift pump/electrically driven pump).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
straggler
1.8 16v

Post by straggler »

It turns over but doesn't fire.
straggler
1.8 16v

Post by straggler »

And does anyone know if it's possible to completely deactivate the immobiliser? I worry about 22 year old electronics.....
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Do you have the flip down key pad immobiliser on yours?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
straggler
1.8 16v

Post by straggler »

No. Mine just has the red flashing light.

I remember a few years ago I plugged something into the cigarette lighter and it popped a fuse. After that, the car took ages to start (think I had to pull out and replace fuses etc) so I'm wondering if there's some procedure to go through if the immobiliser has been triggered in order to reset it.....