Display light doesn't turn off

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiNCS
1.8 16v

Display light doesn't turn off

Post by AndreiNCS »

Hi guys,

I just got back at my car after 1 week of no using and when I got into the car, the display light was on , like how it is when the headlights are turned on ( not maximum intensity), and no outdoor temperature information, and also, I can't switch to the real time consumption and range or any other information. The sad part is that if even if I turn off the ignition, the light still and time, still remain on few minutes.

Any ideas what could it be?
Thanky you in advance and sorry for my english, I'm not from UK.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Display light doesn't turn off

Post by GingerMagic »

Is your car a sedan?
Sometimes water gets into the CD Changer wiring in the boot, and the car electrics go funny....
Even if you have no CD Changer, the empty connector could be wet...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
AndreiNCS
1.8 16v

Post by AndreiNCS »

GingerMagic wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 pm Is your car a sedan?
Sometimes water gets into the CD Changer wiring in the boot, and the car electrics go funny....
Even if you have no CD Changer, the empty connector could be wet...
Thank you! Meanwhile, car turned back to the normal behavior without me doing anything... I guess she's having jokes on me... It still might be what you're saying...giving the fact that after hard rainings I get water the trunk and at the driver's feet ...

Thank you for your suggestion! 😁
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

There is also a large set of connectors under the carpet - it's under the drivers side on a UK car (RHD) but I don't know if it under the drivers side on a LHD car....

These connectors are also easy to get wet, it is worth lifting the carpet and having a look, and drying it out.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

Sometimes the back light of my display is not turned off when I remove the key quickly. The display messages are off but back light is on. I have seen this 5-6 times in last 2 years. I guess the computer (BSI or similar) does not detect the key removal when it is too fast. My 406 is estate (2004). Recently I found that my right back light is full at 1/3 with water (the upper red section). Is there a chance to have effects from this water over wires for stop/flash lights similar to CD changer's connector?