Immobiliser activated, car won't fire

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bigknickers
1.8 16v

Immobiliser activated, car won't fire

Post by bigknickers »

Driving to work this morning, the airbag light came on (continiously). I drove the rest of the journey (12 miles) without a problem.

Tonight, I got in the car, it wouldn't start (immobiliser light on and battery light on) engine was happily throwing over but not catching. Battery fully charged and air bag light on.............what the heck am I supposed to do? (52 plate 110 bhp estate)
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Immobiliser activated, car won't fire

Post by jasper5 »

Is the key icon showing?
The last time I had this problem I had to re programme the keys with PP2000.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hmm, I suspect you have a water ingress issue...
Check the drivers footwell for water - it may be dry on top but a reservoir underneath ( where some major connectors are )
If there is any sign of dampness then maybe the car will sort itself out when bone dry, otherwise it's a PP2000 and PIN code job....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

A key icon?..................I don't think so, the only ones on are immobiliser, battery and airbag

A wet footwell?.............I'll check at work tomorrow.

How can the car lose it's immobiliser memory?................I use the thing every day n have never disconnected the battery in the 3 months I've had it
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

If you have a leak quite a large quantity of water can collect under the drivers side carpet and there are a number of connectors there that can become completely immersed.

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

There is a picture of a key on the dash on some models which also indicates immobiliser activated....my 406 had this.
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

Peter n Ginge..............spot on!!......dry carpet n soaking wet underneath thanks to the foam sucking it all up.
I had to remove the front seat, cut the carpet out, what a NIGHTMARE n now all those cables that need cutting n soldering!!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

My friend David had the same issue after his Coupé was parked in an airport parking lot for 3 weeks....
His carpet was bone dry, but we pulled nearly 2 gallons of water out from underneath..!!
His Dad soldered all the wires ( he did send me a picture of the offending immobiliser wire but I can't find it now..) and it's been fine ever since.
Take many pictures as you go - for backup purposes.

Edit; just checking it's the connection by the pedals you are doing?
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

Yes.............all 3 connectors and some relays are just beneath the throttle pedal. To be honest, as this is a huge achilles heel, perhaps someone could make a 'sticky' at the start of the electrical section for this and other common faults like the comm 2000. I reckon all 406 owners need to cut these plugs out immediately in order to save themselves real headaches later on.

It's gonna be a long job n then I've got to find the water leak!...........the rear passenger carpet is wet too, so I'll have to cut that out tomorrow............good job I'm a bit of a slob, cos I can't see those carpets going back in!
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

Just found your tips n hints within the section called 'knowledge based articles'............you young whizzkids call things very different names these days!!
I pulled one of the plugs apart............very nasty mess, so that'll be getting cut out tomorrow.

Perhaps someone could do an article on the various ways rainwater finds it's ways into the driver's footwell
bigknickers
1.8 16v

Post by bigknickers »

Well done lads..............soldering up the wires has solved the problem!!................AND.................it's cured the ABS light that had been on since I bought the car 3 months ago
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Cool, well done that man.