OBD help

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

cliffk
2.0 16v

OBD help

Post by cliffk »

As I now own 2 406 HDI estates (2001 and 2003) I think I should look to own a reasonably priced and accurate diagnostic machine.

I see lots of references to PP2000, is this something I can purchase at a reasonable cost and is it easy to use? I need something to fault find and reset .

Any advise appreciated.

Cliff
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: OBD help

Post by rwb »

PP2k is the dealer diagnostic software. By comparison anything else is a waste of time.

Besides reading fault codes -- and you can examine every ECU, e.g., BSI, MFD, COM2000,... -- you can also see live parameter measurements, display a graph of parameter measurements (although the graph isn't produced in real time, it's not drawn until you stop recording), you can reconfigure the car (e.g., code the radio to the car, tell it it has oil temperature,...), and you can perform actuator tests such as running the radiator fan.

You can obtain, for example from eBay, a Chinese clone of the hardware that connects the laptop to the car. These are usually supplied with a cracked version of the software.

The PP2k software only runs under 32-bit XP.
It's convenient to pick up an old laptop (Dell D610 is a good choice), specifically for the purpose, that you can keep in the car.

The newer software is called Diagbox, and it's required for newer models such as the 508 that aren't supported in PP2k. Diagbox runs fine under 64-bin win10. I find PP2k to be easier and faster to use, and I found Diagbox unusably slow when I had it running on a 2nd gen i7.

Unfortunately I now have to use Diagbox as I've been coerced into buying a 508.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
cliffk
2.0 16v

Re: OBD help

Post by cliffk »

Thanks for the reply, I have an old laptop running XP and another lap top running windows 7, I have found this on ebay for £34.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP2000-Lexia ... rk:11:pf:0

I assume this is the complete kit, is this gear pretty fool proof and easy to use for a complete novice?