Trip Computer and Outside temperature not displayed

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiNCS
1.8 16v

Trip Computer and Outside temperature not displayed

Post by AndreiNCS »

Hi guys,

Since few months ago my Trip Computer and outside temperature and not displayed at all. The display is working, is showing the date and time corectly but no information in regards of consumption or range and so on... One more thing would be that after closing the ignition, the display is remaing on for 2 or 3 minutes, and also is has a slight darker light, like that one when the headlights and dashboard are turned on.

Someone told me that it could be from an the button on wiper lever, the one who's changing the informations but don't know how to test this... I was thinking about spraying some WD40 on that button.... :cheesy: but I'm not 100% sure that would be a great idea.

Any ideas, sugestions?

Thanks in advance!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Trip Computer and Outside temperature not displayed

Post by GingerMagic »

I fear that an illuminated MFD with the ignition off could be water under the carpet on the right hand side of the car ( drivers side if in UK )
There are 3 big connections by the pedals that are BSI related, worth checking under the carpet thoroughly.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It could've been the button but yes, staying on with the ignition sounds like wet carpet syndrome - http://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12118. Btw lhd or rhd it's the driver's side, whichever that is :wink:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
AndreiNCS
1.8 16v

Post by AndreiNCS »

Could make sense, since this issue came up after a hard raining period during summer :cry:
Do I have to remove the whole floor carpet ( the one with yellow sponge under ) in order to reach at the connections?
One more thing, since my car is with the steering wheel on the left side, these connections are unde the my left side ( under pedals) or unde the passanger floor?

Many thanks for your responses :!: :!: :!:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It's on the driver's side, whichever that is. So yes, on your left-hooker it's on the left.

I can't honestly remember what it involves but you should be able to get to it without removing the carpet, you'll probably have to remove trim to lift that side of the carpet though. Whether you'll end up lifting the whole carpet at some stage will depend on how wet/smelly/disgusting it is.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
AndreiNCS
1.8 16v

Post by AndreiNCS »

steve_earwig wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:32 pm It's on the driver's side, whichever that is. So yes, on your left-hooker it's on the left.

I can't honestly remember what it involves but you should be able to get to it without removing the carpet, you'll probably have to remove trim to lift that side of the carpet though. Whether you'll end up lifting the whole carpet at some stage will depend on how wet/smelly/disgusting it is.
Thanks, steve_earwig! I will give it a try by the week-end. :shock: :lol: :lol: