V6 ABS/ESP problems

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

V6 ABS/ESP problems

Post by FarmerPug »

My 406 V6 (2001 Multiplex Estate)when started throws up lights/messages for the ABS/ESP system, airbag fault and the power steering is heavy.

I recently replaced the alternator and battery, and what i assume to be the ABS/ESP ecu was unplugged at the time, its all plugged back in now and been inspected a dozen times.

PP2000 is saying the following:

Airbag ecu - remote permanent fault. Vehicle speed information.

Power steering - permanent fault: sensor signal: vehicle speed/(short circuit to positive or circuit open).

Bsi - no communication with abs or esp ecu, vehicle longitudinal acceleration information incorrect value received and vehicle speed information incorrect value received.

ABS or ESP ecu - the ecu has not replied

Engine ECU - remote permanent fault, no communication with the abs or dynamic stability control ecu

Automatic transmission - no communication with abs or esp

Anyone ever had an issue like this?
V6GTX
1.6 8v

Re: V6 ABS/ESP problems

Post by V6GTX »

Did this ever get resolved ? It's not a problem I've seen but I'm a firm believer in acting on error messages which in this case all point to a problem with the vehicle speed sensor. Did the wiring for this get dislodged in some way ?
2000 V6 GTX Auto Saloon (ES9J4S) non-mux
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I found the esp ecu in behind the glove box, removed it and sprayed wd40 round the contacts. Put it back in and the issues went away
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

Note that using the normal WD40 (with the red cap) as electric contact cleaner is not a good idea. The fatty parts will insulate the contacts and attract dust and dirt.

Better to use a real electric contact cleaner (if you persist on using WD40 there are the "contact spray" flasks with the yellow caps, but there are cheaper alternatives).
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.