Electric mirrors quick fix

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

joydivision
1.8 16v

Electric mirrors quick fix

Post by joydivision »

Soon after buying my 406 Estate, I found out that electric mirrors control wasn't working. Forgot to test that one while trying out the car, would have been a good point to lower the price a bit more. First thought this could a fuse. Wrong. Then thought it should be the control buttons. Took them out and yes, they were in bad shape, decided to open them an refurbish them. Some photos - before:
DSC_2962_.JPG
(634.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And after:
DSC_2963_.JPG
(637.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Problem: after reinstalling buttons, still wasn't working! Decided to take the mirrors off - bingo! Wiring connector was disconnected! Why would someone do this??? So I felt really smart and connected them. Then switched on ignition and was shocked: mirror had a life of its own! Was adjusting alone into the most weird angles. So, that's why they disconnected it, now I see. Maybe some problem with the ECU under the seat - this car has electric seats and the memory function includes the mirror position. Maybe just a bad connection somewhere. Btw, memory function doesn't work for seats either, although electric seat control works fine otherwise. What was even stranger: passenger mirror was NOT moving.
Some seconds after turning on the ignition, the strange "life of its own" would stop. Now I could perfectly adjust the drivers mirror with the control buttons. Great! So, as I had little time (and needed the mirror working), I decided to install a little switch, that basically allows cutting the connection or restoring it, when desired. This means: if you want to adjust the driver's mirror, turn on the ignition, wait about 30 seconds, change switch position, use normal mirror controls to adjust mirror as desired and turn switch again to initial position where it cuts the connection. Simple! :D
I know it's a "dirty" fix and far from perfect. But it works and took little time (and costed me no money at all).

Now I only have to find out why the passenger's mirror is not working at all. Exterior temperature is not working, either, (sensor is in that mirror), there must be something really disconnected. I will find out one day when I have more time, and probably install that little switch also for passenger mirror...
If anyone has any idea in regards to this, that would be helpful!

Photos:
DSC_2964_.JPG
(476.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_2965_.JPG
(512.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_2966_.JPG
(372.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_2967_.JPG
(459.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
NinoB
2.2 16v

Re: Electric mirrors quick fix

Post by NinoB »

Check the connector under the carpets that linked with the door and spray wd40
joydivision
1.8 16v

Re: Electric mirrors quick fix

Post by joydivision »

Thanks, but I fixed this already, forgot to post here, sorry... The problem was: someone had dislodged the terminals INSIDE the connector for the passenger mirror so that they would not engage even with the connector in place, instead of simply disconnecting the connector like they did in drivers mirror. A "neat" trick that was a really bad idea for the future... I noticed it only after a long, unnecessary search, where I also checked the connector under the carpet you're referring to...