alternator issues

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: alternator issues

Post by GingerMagic »

Indeed, looks likely there are gremlins afoot...

Try the BSI reset first - but I hasten to add the abs, airbag and immobiliser all go through the same connector so if this is the case it's worth tackling with caution.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Update on this.

Tried the BSI reset again on Friday with no change miraculously today no battery light and showing a charge at the battery without having to use my jumper wire, several start stops and all good at the moment, so as it is a nice day I lifted the drivers foot well carpet and its absolutely soaking under there I've squeezed as much water as I can out of the foam and mopped up, presently carpet is propped up as much as poss and fan heater blowing between it and the car floor to try and dry out a bit, not a solution I know but might help for a while I think I have to seal the sun roof shut as the drains are fine but I'm sure that's where the water originates from.

Good news is my work on removing the multi connector under the carpet still looks good and intact and I'm sort if convinced my issue was down to the fact that the cables were sitting in a puddle, will see how it goes no intention of removing my emergency jump wire just yet
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Let's hope that resolves it, fingers crossed....
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)