Windscreen wipers don't park and won't stay on and the auto sensor doesn't appear to work

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Windscreen wipers don't park and won't stay on and the auto sensor doesn't appear to work

Post by 123456789 »

Please help.... Have a 2000 406 110 hdi executive. The windscreen wipers won't park and they only stay on for approx. 1 minute at any setting before they stop.... The speed of them will vary on the stalk, but they turn off and don't park after approx. 1 minute..... It driving me nuts. They just stop randomly.
I have tried swopping out the motor, bit the symptoms persist.... Please advise.... Is it a malfunctioning bsi??
I'm desperate to get it sorted as it makes an otherwise useful, well maintained car useless.
Another thing I've noticed is the windows will only work when the car is running.
I'd be extremely grateful for any advice!!
MANY THANKS!
Killerko
1.8 16v

Re: Windscreen wipers don't park and won't stay on and the auto sensor doesn't appear to work

Post by Killerko »

Check wiper relay behind the fuse box for any cold soldering spots.

All I did is simple google search for: wipers issue 406 and the first link took me right back to this forum :lol: https://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11094

I had similar issue with fan blower where it would work randomly and it was just a cold soldering spot.. did not even buy a new part, just resoldered the spots.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Windscreen wipers don't park and won't stay on and the auto sensor doesn't appear to work

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi :cheesy:

I would try a BSI reset first, this can help sort out niggles, and see what happens.

In my mind I'm thinking this isn't a stalk issue as you have skinny wiper/indicator stalks which are normally pretty robust.

As suggested, you could test or replace the relay.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.

Post by 123456789 »

Thanks very much for your advice both.... It would be great if it was just a relay..... Can't seem to find one(?)..... I did read that they may be in the bsi unit itself?? The fuse box is located just under steering wheel and I believe the bsi is behind that.... Will I find the relay next to it.... I've tried a bsi reset and it didn't cure it... I forgot to mention the rear one won't park either and occasionally the Speedo stops working?? I love this care and I'm really keen to get it sorted.... It's a 2000 so just at the beginning of all the complicated electronics I believe. Fingers crossed I can get it sorted.Any Futher advice greatly appreciated!!