Central locking help required

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Lee1978
1.8 16v

Central locking help required

Post by Lee1978 »

Hi all. I'm attempting to get my central locking working and have run into a rather odd problem.
The central locking has never worked while i've had the car, the BSI had failed and was constantly driving the locks into the unlock position, it actually burnt out all the locking motors!
I recently decided to fix the issue so bought a working BSI and swapped the eeprom over. The central locking came to life but the locks were bouncing as though the BSI could either see a door open or a lock failing to lock. I decided to buy PP2000 to help me figure out what the problem is and here's where it gets weird, PP2000 shows the lock/unlock positions of both front door locking mechanisms, the lock on the passenger front appears to be fine but the drivers front is showing the opposite state to what it actually is, eg if its locked, PP2000 thinks its unlocked, if its unlocked pp2000 thinks its locked. I'm really puzzled by this and wondered if the lock mech is wrong (i replaced it because it was burnt out so maybe i got the wrong type).
Any ideas on what's happening would be very very much appreciated.
2002 2.0hdi 90hp Siemens, de-cat, egr blanked.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Central locking help required

Post by Doggy »

We had to replace the passenger side front lock on a 406 exec estate my bro used to have. I can't remember all the details but do recall being seriously confused for a spell. We were convinced the drivers side was at fault but discovered the hard way it was the passenger side, (swapping the drivers side did nothing, but connecting the spare lock electrically on the passenger side with all the linkage rods off and fooling it into thinking the door was shut by operating the latch mech with a screwdriver allowed us to prove it). In this condition the central locking 'worked' and the BSI was happy.

I think he ran it for a week or two with the wrong hand lock mech dangling inside the door till we could get the right spare.

Don't know if that makes sense or helps at all, but I hope so

Can't remember if I did a post on it at the time, (2015), but haven't found it yet if I did. :oops:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Lee1978
1.8 16v

Post by Lee1978 »

Thanks Doggy although i'm starting to think the problem might be the BSI again. I've been checking the wiring and the locks today and all seems well. I've noticed a few issues thanks to PP2000. Firstly, the BSI thinks there's an issue with the drivers front lock, although the wiring and lock test out fine. Secondly, as i've described above, the drivers front lock shows as locked when its unlocked and unlocked when its locked according to PP2000. Thirdly, the passenger front door doesn't show up as open on the info display or in the BSI live data, again, the wiring and lock seem fine.
I'm wondering whether the BSI has corrupted software.
Does anyone know much about these BSI's? Anyone virginised and initialised one or retrieved the security code from one?
I've done a little eeprom programming in the past, have good soldering skills and have PP2000 so i'm wondering if i can flash new software on this thing and get it programmed back into the car (presuming i'm right and it is the BSI's software that's gone screwy)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I would plug the drivers lock into the passenger loom - and we if the 'open door' message appears.

You can also use PP2000 to activate the locks individually to see if they bounce back, this would also determine if your BSI is at fault.

I think it's under Electrical in the main menu, then Actuators test - although it's been a few years since I've use PP2K
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Lee1978
1.8 16v

Post by Lee1978 »

GingerMagic wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:23 pm I would plug the drivers lock into the passenger loom - and we if the 'open door' message appears.

You can also use PP2000 to activate the locks individually to see if they bounce back, this would also determine if your BSI is at fault.

I think it's under Electrical in the main menu, then Actuators test - although it's been a few years since I've use PP2K
Thanks for the response. I've actually got a few spare lock mechs so have been swapping them around to no avail unfortunately. I think the bouncing locks are to do with the fact the lock pulse locks all the locks but the drivers front shows as unlocked. Thanks for the pointer on PP2000 though, i wasn't aware i could actuate the locks individually, that might be useful.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Just a thought - have you checked for broken wires in the flexible loom section but the drivers door check strap?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Lee1978
1.8 16v

Post by Lee1978 »

GingerMagic wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:40 pm Just a thought - have you checked for broken wires in the flexible loom section but the drivers door check strap?
Thanks but i'm more or less certain the problem is the BSI, i think the software has corrupted. Time to learn how to virginise and reprogram BSI's!
If anyone has tried this before do let me know. I
Lee1978
1.8 16v

Post by Lee1978 »

Update: I don't know where to get the appropriate software to virginize the BSI or retrieve the security pin so i've asked Peugeot to provide the key and erased the eeprom (apparently that's all it takes to virginize BSI's the majority of the time).
I've printed out all the programming info via planet so i'm all set. I'm hoping to have the security pin tomorrow and may even have a crack at programming the BSI tomorrow too if time permits. I'll post again if i make any progress.