Help virginising BSI

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Lee1978
1.8 16v

Help virginising BSI

Post by Lee1978 »

Hi all. So, i'm pretty sure my BSI's software has corrupted and i'd like to virginise it and start again. I was hoping someone here might be able to give me a few pointers as i haven't tried this particular task before.
My BSI has a M95040 eeprom and i'm using the TL866II programmer, i'm not entirely sure which pin on the chip goes where on the programmer at this stage so a little help there would be good.
I'm also going to try to retrieve the security pin from the eeproms dump once ive read it and see "Peugeot Key Calculator" software is capable of this, does anyone have this software? I've already been told the security pin may have been corrupted within the software so i may have to go the the dealer for this if retrieving it from the eeprom dump is unsuccessful.
Any help at all would be much appreciated!
2002 2.0hdi 90hp Siemens, de-cat, egr blanked.
Lee1978
1.8 16v

Re: Help virginising BSI

Post by Lee1978 »

Update: I don't know where to get the appropriate software to virginize the BSI or retrieve the security pin so i've asked Peugeot to provide the key and erased the eeprom (apparently that's all it takes to virginize BSI's the majority of the time).
I've printed out all the programming info via planet so i'm all set. I'm hoping to have the security pin tomorrow and may even have a crack at programming the BSI tomorrow too if time permits. I'll post again if i make any progress.

Apologies for double posting this update on my "help with central locking" thread, i posted it there by mistake then couldn't see an option to delete it!
Lee1978
1.8 16v

Post by Lee1978 »

Well, i've just plugged in the "virginised" BSI and my mileage has gone from 124k to 600k! I've had a quick look online and this happened to another chaps car after the BSI developed an issue, maybe it defaults to 600k in some circumstances.
So, now i have to work out how to do mileage correction too, which apparently involves both instrument cluster and BSI programming :roll:
If there's anyone that knows anything at all about this it would be great if you'd post, any help would be much appreciated.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Can't help you resolve the issue, but the behaviour as I understand it that if there is a difference between the total mileage stored in the clocks and the BSI, it helpfully adds them together.

French logic: If they don't match the dealer is replacing a faulty instrument binacle with a new one which must have zero mileage, therefore add the value stored in the BSI and voila, c'est parfait.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Lee1978
1.8 16v

Post by Lee1978 »

I think if there's a difference between the mileage stored in the BSI and the mileage stored in the cluster, the cluster just goes with the highest of those two figures, i have no idea how erasing the BSI gave me 600k though. At this stage i'll need to reprogram both the BSI and the cluster, i suppose i can set one to zero miles and the other to the correct mileage, i have no idea what software i'll need to correct those bin files though, the mileage is encoded somewhere in the binary so its not just a matter of editing "600" to "124" somewhere in the code.
I think the lesson here is don't presume erasing the data on the BSI's eeprom will virginise the unit, it won't, in fact it sets your mileage to 600k! I really need to know how to virginise my bin file, as well as how to correct my mileage now.
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

Usually this change of mileage means that now you see the real number and somebody has modified it in the past. I guess the car is bought second hand with "good" mileage.
Lee1978
1.8 16v

Post by Lee1978 »

Ok, i've figured out how to remove the eeprom, download its dump file and find the security pin. The pin was on line 00000070 and is obvious in the ASCII portion of the dump file, its the four characters together. Desoldering and soldering eeproms isn't difficult, ive tried a couple of methods but the hot air soldering method is the easiest in my opinion. The only thing left to do is figure out how to create the virgin dump file, i don't know what i should edit in the dump file to virginise it, if anyone knows i'd really appreciate some help.