Cylinder reference sensor

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mayeux
1.6 8v

Cylinder reference sensor

Post by Mayeux »

Hello would someone enlighten me to which sensor is the Cylinder reference sensor please , we have a 2003 2.2 petrol coupe which is normally a good starter ,but the other morning it put up an anti pollution message before it stoped running and will not restart, have run pp2000 and although is didnt give any fault codes it says for the engine ecu that there is an intermittent fault Cylinder reference sensor 1. Open circuit, short circuit to positive.
Thank you Guy
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Cylinder reference sensor

Post by GingerMagic »

Hello Guy.

Sadly I'm not much use as I'm more of a diesel owner - however seeing as you have PP2K then you can check the coherence of the crank sensor and the cam sensor.

If either one fails it's a definite non start.

Try there first, or have a peek at the wiring/connector on the sensors.

Merry Christmas :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Mayeux
1.6 8v

Post by Mayeux »

Good morning Ginger ,
Thank you and a Happy Christmas to you too , btw do you know where the crankcase sensor is likely to be please , have searched google this morning and cannot find it.
Guy
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Guy, sorry I've been away for a couple of days.

I was going to suggest you join the Coupe forum as many people there own the 2.2 petrol ( it's rare in a normal 406 ) however I see you already have :cheesy:

Frog is a very knowledgeable chap, good with his wiring diagrams too - I hope you find a resolve soon enough, hopefully replacing the sensors will fix it.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Mayeux
1.6 8v

Post by Mayeux »

Thank you Ginger , we have been away too , I found the sensor , really tucked away too, but when I put the meter on it , it looked ok , I ordered a new one , but no difference, I had read about bad earths being a common issue, and when I put the meter on it was losing nearly 2volts to the earth on the engine fuse box , I sorted that and ordered another engine fuse box , strangely it came off a 04 207 , same reference number of course, tried that yesterday, no change, and all the fuses that sit under it were all intact to , from what I have read it’s looking like it could be the bsi ? Windows, Wipers, don’t work although the windows do still move when the doors are opened and closed, central locking still works, but the immobiliser symbol shows sometimes when the ignition is switched on , need to find someone who knows what to do next .
Thank you Guy