What have I done? Broken horn or airbag connector

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

406coupeOZ

What have I done? Broken horn or airbag connector

Post by 406coupeOZ »

Hi all,

I managed to stuff up one of the steering wheel connectors to the airbag module on my 406 Coupe. I was removing the steering wheel to get the leather recovered.

Anyway the small orange connector wires broke and I’m wondering was it’s function is? Airbag or horn? How do I go about repairing it? Can I solder it back in? Do I need an auto electrician to do it? Can it be tested if it works once repaired? I’d hate for it to be faulty and it activates the airbag spontaneously or something else.

Hope someone can help.
Attachments
IMG_7714.jpeg
IMG_7716.jpeg
IMG_7731.jpeg
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: What have I done? Broken horn or airbag connector

Post by steve_earwig »

Hello and welcome! :cheesy:

Umm, ARGH! Safety restraint stuff is always orange on a D8 so yes, you stuffed it up big time I'm afraid. I'd think it could be re-soldered, needs a steady hand and maybe you'll need to solder some extensions in there, hopefully you can get the polarity right (probably doesn't matter but airbag) and the system will self-test, so you'll get a warning light if it doesn't see resistance it's expecting but, but, you know, airbag, BANG, broken nose and all that.

Disconnect the ecu first, it has a capacitor in it that could still power the system if you mess up!

I'd suspect most auto electricians will tell you to get a new clockspring but there's nothing to stop you asking.

If you do manage to get it fixed, climb in under the steering wheel and turn the ignition on, so if it does go off (and I'm not saying it will, airbags were on the back burned for many years before the control systems were good enough for them not to go off unless they were actually needed) it won't give you a bad day.

You might consider testing the circuit from the other end with a meter but I have been told that the small voltage a meter puts out could conceivably SET THE BLOODY THING OFF!

I'm probably doing a lot of worrying for nothing but the things scare the crap out of me https://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17391 :oops:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
406coupeOZ

Re: What have I done? Broken horn or airbag connector

Post by 406coupeOZ »

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement clock spring? Ideally a new one.