Dashboard Lighting

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

csd1_uk
1.8 8v

Dashboard Lighting

Post by csd1_uk »

Hi, its been a very long time since i have been here and far beyond the days of when i was around when the site first got set up, but i was wondering if you guys could possibly help and shine some light (excuse the pun) on this electrical problem (not a word we have to use a lot with the 6's!)

Car Details: 1996 406 2.0 lx, basic aircon controls, petrol.

i have a headunit installed with with rca inputs to which i have a 2 rca to 3.5mm jack cable connected for mp3 player connection. Basically the other day i pulled on this wire a little and there was a nice pop and i lost pretty much all of my dashboard lights. Obviously fuse was checked and had blown, this was replaced with a 10amp fuse instead of a 7.5 amp as didnt have any others, but still no lights.

The lights that do work are the odometer lighting, battery lights, dipped and main beam lights, but i seem to have lost all background lighting to the dials and the central unit.

I am completely stuck as to what it can be at the minute, and i have read the other thread in this topic regarding dashboard lights.

Hope you can help
Due to Recent Cutbacks, The Light at The End of The Tunnel Has Been Switched Off!
muffindell
2.2 16v

lights

Post by muffindell »

yep, I've had this one on the D8 I had at the time. Ended up taking the instrument cluster out and replacing all the bulbs (a good idea while everything is out anyway), that cured the problem. Oh one other thing, some wierd happend and I couldn't get a speedo reading, disconnect the battery, wait a few mins then reconnect and everything back to normal. If I were you I would disconnect the battery first before doing any of the work, it may avoid other bulbs blowing while working on the cluster.

Mat
csd1_uk
1.8 8v

Post by csd1_uk »

okay cool i will give it a go, now just have to source the bulbs?!

and then i have to strip out the centre dash as well because the lights have gone behind the mechanical air con controls as well!!
Due to Recent Cutbacks, The Light at The End of The Tunnel Has Been Switched Off!
muffindell
2.2 16v

bulbs

Post by muffindell »

once one goes they all seem to go within a short space of time between them, hence why I change them all at the same time - hopefully you wont need to do it for while ....... unless you're unlucky!