how do you....

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TehAgent
1.8 16v

how do you....

Post by TehAgent »

Make it so the code is input when the you press the key fob? and can i do it on my car?

1997 2liter turbo executive.
1997 2.0l turbo executive 150bhp P--- BUD
mjb
Site Admin

Re: how do you....

Post by mjb »

Can't remember, but it's in the handbook. If you don't have a handbook you can read one online somewhere on the Peugeot website
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
TehAgent
1.8 16v

Post by TehAgent »

Aah the classic case of RTFM :oops:

Funny how it never seems to cross ya mind about that little book.... :roll:

I shall be posting back soon, that i cant find it lol
PJ
2.0 16v

Post by PJ »

Is this what you are looking for:-
http://www.peugeotdiesel.com/Peugeot_Keys_Info.html

406 PLIP PROGRAMMING
The 406 deadlocking remote control has specific button controls, and if the vehicle has two controls, one is set as primary and the other as secondary.
When replacing the Plip, a Primary or Secondary Plip are different part numbers and must be ordered as required. The white label inside the Plip is labelled PRIM or SEC.
1. Turn the Ignition switch ON.
2. Press the large Plip key button (Primary Plip)
3. Within 10 seconds press the large Plip key button (Secondary Plip)
4. If there is one remote, press the Primary plip button twice.
5. Turn ignition OFF.
6. Test Plip’s for correct operation.
NOTE : On some 406 models, Plips cannot be re-synchronised unless the battery has been disconnected for 1 minute.

From approx. 1995 Peugeot began to use a transponder chip, for the immobiliser, system within their key fobs. Although not right across the whole range. If your Peugeot vehicle has an immobiliser keypad installed then it does not use the transponder chip system.
What is a transponder chip?
The transponder chip contains a code which corresponds with the ignition system in the vehicle. Without it the vehicle will not start. Eventhough the engine may turn, it will not fire up.
The system works basically as follows: Once you insert your key into the ignition and turn, the ECU (your vehicle's computer) interrogates the transponder chip within your keyfob. If it transmits the correct code the ECU will allow the vehicle to start, otherwise the vehicle will remain immobilised
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

or you could start the engine and disconnect the keypad and never have to enter the code again 8)
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
TehAgent
1.8 16v

Post by TehAgent »

With the thieving rat bags round my area, id much prefer to have immobiliser function, it just gets annoying having to put the code in every time i turn the engine off, even if i leave the keys in the ignition while i fiddle with someone inside the car.

So id like it to add the code when i either, unlock the car with the plip, or put the key in the ignition.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

PJ wrote:Is this what you are looking for:-
No, he's after enabling automatic immobiliser disarming, not fey fob re-syncing. IIRC it's just something like 'C1C' on the keypad after you put the code in, but check the handbook.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
TehAgent
1.8 16v

Post by TehAgent »

OK before i go and uncode my car with some fancy button pressing, can anyone confirm this from their handbook, as mind doesn't contain anything about the keypad immobiliser, it just mentions a chip inside the key? and that's it. :shock:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I'll check my handbook tonight. 95% sure it's in there...

Just checked the peugeot website and there's no bloody handbook for D8s any more! :(