number plate light replacement - estate

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

locoboy
1.8 16v

number plate light replacement - estate

Post by locoboy »

One of the number plate bulbs has gone on my 1998 estate and im buggered if i can figure out how to get the lense off to change it.

It looks like there are no screws to remove it and i dont want o go levering things with screwdrivers etc just yet.

Anyone got any advice?
mjb
Site Admin

Re: number plate light replacement - estate

Post by mjb »

locoboy wrote:One of the number plate bulbs has gone on my 1998 estate and im buggered if i can figure out how to get the lense off to change it.

It looks like there are no screws to remove it and i dont want o go levering things with screwdrivers etc just yet.

Anyone got any advice?
Piece of piss on a D8. Lift the tailgate to a 45 degree angle with the sidelights on and you'll see the light you need to change, It's behind a little plastic cover with the citroen logo very visible (the pug logo's also visible if you look for it)

£3ish from halfords will get you a new light. Just unscrew the cover, pull the light out and push a new one in its place before screwing the cover back in. easy.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
locoboy
1.8 16v

Post by locoboy »

I know where the light is, one either sid eo fthe black boot release handle but there are no screws holding the lense on and no obvious way of gripping the lense to pull it off.

I have just been out and neither of my lenses have any citroen or Pug logos on them at all...........

Are we talking about the same thing here?
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

You didn't say whether you've got a D8 or D9. My description is accurate for a D8, but if you've got a D9 it may well be completely different and involve the equivalent of running the crystal maze.... ;) Can you take a picture of underneath the boot handle, and tell us if you've got a D8 or D9?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
locoboy
1.8 16v

Post by locoboy »

D8? D9? i know its D....IRTY!

Here it is.

Cheers
old codger
2.0 16v

Post by old codger »

Some of the tailgates you have to remove the interior trim then push the light unit out from inside-got caught myself on this -i think the 7 seaters are the same.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

locoboy wrote:Here it is.
That could be anything! One of the lights doesn't work on my D9 but I've been too lazy to change it, I had a look today though - qué? No screws, nothing, so I had a liitle prod about with a screwdriver but I could see myself breaking it. I just had a look in Haynes - yep, you've got to take the trim panel off. Bastards, when I got it the trim panel wouldn't stay on at the top, when I had all the work done by Pug they put some tougher looking clips on it and I bet I'll break them getting them off again :evil: Bugger it, one light's plenty.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mav
2.0 16v

Post by mav »

mjb wrote:tell us if you've got a D8 or D9?
erm.........
locoboy (in opening post!!) wrote:One of the number plate bulbs has gone on my 1998 estate and im buggered if i can figure out how to get the lense off to change it.

Anyone got any advice?
The answers no!

Now whats the question?
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Look at the time/day on the post - do you think I'm ever sober at that time of the week? :P
mav
2.0 16v

Post by mav »

mjb wrote:Look at the time/day on the post - do you think I'm ever sober at that time of the week? :P
i guess by that that ur a few sheets to the wind :roll:
wish i could be, i normally have to babysit 30-odd teenagers for an entire weekend :evil:
The answers no!

Now whats the question?
degsy

Post by degsy »

Stop! You don't need to take the trim on the back of the tailgate! Well not on my Family Estate anyway.

First, open the tailgate - it makes life easier. Then grip the lens; slide your fingers in the gap on top and grab the bottom with your thumb. Give the lens a sharp pull - sort of downwards and outwards at the same time. It should pop right off. The bulb will then pull straight out. Don't use any screwdrivers/knives/keys etc. or you'll crack the lens.

Worth checking as these are an MOT failure.
406silverhdi
2.0 16v

Post by 406silverhdi »

i used and adjustable spanner with the fingers from a latex glove over the spanner fingers

tightened it up a little and pulled, wiggled, one of mine was already cracked so i got a new one from the scrappy :)
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

ah the joys of saloon ownership!
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

One of my number plate lights was out yesterday evening, tapped it & it came on. Checked later, same again :evil:
My Xsara had the same light units & I remembered breaking one of them trying to change the lamp, but was determined to 'get it right' this time....
Spent ages trying to prise the unit out without breaking it, but wound up snapping a lug off one side of the housing :evil:
Once the lamp assembly's out it's easy to get the lense off & swap the bulb, but I have yet to get a lamp unit out undamaged. :x
Turns out mine were Chinese copies :shock: (Look like they've been wet inside too).
Now for somebody to fit pattern bits, they must be pricey, so I checked on ServiceBox - 6340A3 £2.77 inc vat. :roll:

So I suggest the following:
Kit yourself out with 2 lamp assemblies, 2 multi-chip led lamps, fit & forget - total about £15.50, but you SHOULD never have to bother again.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
totaleclipse
2.0 16v

Post by totaleclipse »

i caught the edge of mine with a long dirty fingernail and it popped off.

really easy.
1997 2.1TD executive estate - mmmm, lovely :)