Dodgy MW/LW

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Zyzym
1.8 8v

Dodgy MW/LW

Post by Zyzym »

The radio on my 406 cd/radio has excellent FM reception but very poor MW/LW. I can hardly hear it at rest and not at all on the move.
I do get one local MW station but would not describe that as brilliant either
Since I have only recently acquired the car I do not know if it worked in the past or not.
Is it possible that this needs trimming or is there another problem.
Bolts out = 10; Bolts replaced = 10; Bolts remaining = 11?
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Dodgy MW/LW

Post by mjb »

Not much to suggest. All I can say is that the roof-mounted aerial is for FM reception only - the MW/LW aerial(s) is in the head unit itself. Might be worth checking for a badly fitted phone kit causing interference
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Zyzym
1.8 8v

Post by Zyzym »

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to take so long to get back.
I do have a hard wired phone kit installed in the car which I don't use. If this did affect the radio how could I tell?
To test this theory I am happy to remove it.
Is this straight forward or are there unseen complications? :?
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

If the phone kit is aftermarket, then it should have a fused power lead. Take the fuse out and test the stereo.

The Nokia kits that I have fitted to my previous cars have only had 3 wires to connect, +ve, -ve and a stereo mute cable to turn the stereo down when the phone rings. Nice and easy to install and just as easy to remove.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
Zyzym
1.8 8v

Post by Zyzym »

I have tried disconnecting phone and it didn't work.

The main dealer said something about an aerial amplifier but I was in agreement with mjb that the AM aerial was a ferrite aerial in the actual radio/cd player.
I have noticed that I can get a local AM station but it is weak. I can also get national channels such as BBC Radio 5 but can hardly hear them at full volume.

Whilst listening to the local station on AM I disconnected the aerial and lost the signal. I am now considering looking for this amplifier. Peugeot reckon you can access it through the interior light. This is despite mine being an estate with the aerial at the back of the roof! It does have a bit of logic as there is a mike for the telephone there and the connection, if it exists, may have been disturbed.

If anyone has any experience of this please let me know :?
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

I have the CK15w and the radio doesn't mute when a call comes in, is there anything i can do or is it not compatible with a 2000 D9 Clarion CD player?
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
Zyzym
1.8 8v

Post by Zyzym »

Had a good look round but can't find any sort of amplifier.
Think I may have to go back and pick the main stealer's brains for advice
Zyzym
1.8 8v

Post by Zyzym »

Have now dismantled back end car (or so it seems). When I disconnected the aerial I got AM reception through myself.
On examination there is corrosion on the PCB within the aerial so I think I will have to get a new one.
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

This happened on mine once, it was after I had the car repaired after an accident, so the insurance paid up for a new radio in the end. I thought something shorted out when the back window was removed to reseal it. They replaced the aerial and aerial amp, but that didn't do anything.

£400 for a new radio though, so I'd have done without if it was my money paying for it!!
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
Zyzym
1.8 8v

Post by Zyzym »

I have now replaced the aerial base with the corrosion and have resolved the problem.
Many thanks to all who have assisted.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Very interesting. This is the aerial base that's attached to the roof of the car on the outside?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Zyzym
1.8 8v

Post by Zyzym »

This is the external base of aerial that sits on top of the roof that the antennae screws into.
The corrosion is at the antennae end therefore I presume that there has been water ingress through the screw thread.
This is the estate version, I believe that the saloon version is different.

I was surprised to see that original had 2 wires fitted to it - 1 co-axial and 1 single strand. I assumed that the single strand is for telephone reception though I can't be sure.
The replacement, at £42+(ouch), has 4 wires. The person at the main dealers, who has been most helpful, suggested they may be for SatNav. I have checked the old piece and can't find where the other 2 wires would have attached. (I resisted the temptation to dismantle the new one.)

At the end of the day I have achieved my goal and got Radio 5 - shame that reception on both wavebands is so poor in Peterborough. :D
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

eoin27 wrote:I have the CK15w and the radio doesn't mute when a call comes in, is there anything i can do or is it not compatible with a 2000 D9 Clarion CD player?
Here you go Eoin 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)