speakers in the back doors of an estate

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

no2lurch
3.0 24v

speakers in the back doors of an estate

Post by no2lurch »

anyone ever put speakers in the back doors of an estate?
Past car - D9 2.2 SRi estate, sleeper, family wagon & general hauler!
Current car - Ph3 1.8 306
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: speakers in the back doors of an estate

Post by FarmerPug »

Is there provision for them in the back door cards, how does the rear door cards of an estate differ from the saloon which has no speakers in the rear doors.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

They're the same :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

i got a sharp knife and good intensions tho! lol
Past car - D9 2.2 SRi estate, sleeper, family wagon & general hauler!
Current car - Ph3 1.8 306
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

well it could be done but it would look a bit odd, and where could you actually put the speaker without getting in the way of the door and all the gubbins in it
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Wouldn't it be easier to fit some in the parcel shelf?
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

the parcel shelf is removed frequently in estates isnt undoing a wire an ackward and repetitive procedure, Whats the C pillars like for speakers taking, and isnt the JBL system in the estate not adequate i know its bit less powerful than the saloon which is odd since its bigger but it couldnt make a huge difference
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I dunno about the JBL but the speakers in the back of my estate are puny, they're in the rear pillars and I think they're 4" Nice size for a tweeter... There is provision for a couple of 6" in the tailgate, perhaps more but you'll need to nibble the holes out.

I don't think there's any point to putting speakers in the rear shelf because there'll be no resonance chamber behind them, so you'll get all the high ends but no bass. You could pull the cover over of course, I reckon that would make a nice farty noise.

Perhaps you could make an entire shelf out of mdf but... why did you buy an estate again?

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Perhaps you could make an entire shelf out of mdf but... why did you buy an estate again?
Because everytime we've had to visit the family in Eire, my wife has managed to stick to her mathematical formula of:

amount of bags needed for 1 week = amount of bags that will fit in boot + 5.

The first time I drove over I had a BMW 3 Series, then a 5 Series, then a Xantia, a C5, a Zafira & the last time was a Vivaro minibus! I got her down to the 406 because she started flying over when she felt guilty about me driving for 12hrs each time, but the boot still gets filled up driving her to the airport!
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

406executiveHDI wrote:Is there provision for them in the back door cards, how does the rear door cards of an estate differ from the saloon which has no speakers in the rear doors.
The estate's tailgate could probably support a couple of speakers, but the struts would probably need replacing with something beefier. The big plus over doing it on a saloon would be that the estate already has a conduit for wiring...

Sound quality would undoubtedly suck though, even with the tailgate filled with acoustic foam, seeing as the speakers would be hidden under the parcel shelf
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

My parcel shelf's been out of the car since I bought it :P
waue1978 wrote:Because...
What I mean is having a whole shelf there kind of defeats the point of an estate because you won't be able to get to half of it. Unless you could tie it to the tailgate somehow and have it lift hatchback-style.

AT the risk of starting that old debate again I love estates myself, I can't see the point of a saloon - if I wanted something impractical I'd buy a Coupe :wink:

mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

steve_earwig wrote:I can't see the point of a saloon - if I wanted something impractical I'd buy a Coupe :wink:
Having owned all 3, I completely agree! :lol:

The saloon should have been designed as a hatchback...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

I have no complaints about the practicality of either the saloon and the coupe - always been able to load them up with people and luggage/shopping with no complaints. I don't have a dog, so I see no need to own an estate.

Both still look cooler than the estate too, which is a nice bonus! 8)
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Cooler? Pfft. Try putting a fridge in one.

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

You can, no sweat! Check this out 8)
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.