Standard HU and the Radio Aerial of Doom

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Standard HU and the Radio Aerial of Doom

Post by highlander »

OK, this is a silly one.

I've extracted my Sony HU from my old saloon and am trying to get the standard HU back in - but the radio aerial won't go into its socket for love nor money. I am of the impression I'm doing something stupidly wrong, but I guess maybe there's a special way to connect it?

I know it's going into the right socket because when the radio is on, I get static, and when I touch the radio aerial connector to the socket I'm trying to push it into, I get some reception.

Is the radio aerial socket on the standard Philips tape deck HU simply unimaginably stiff? Or do you have to use a special tool to get the feckin' thing to fit?

Cheers
Graeme
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Standard HU and the Radio Aerial of Doom

Post by mjb »

should just fit right in. did you fit a small adaptor (which looks like part of the original plug) when installing your sony?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

I didn't fit it, it was Halfords :oops: but the aerial connector does look like an original part with no adapter involved.

I'll try and get a photo when I get home tonight, if it's not too sodding dark to do so.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I've only ever seen two sorts - the normal one that looks like a f*ucked up RCA plug and one that looks like a press stud. Hold on...

Normal:

Press stud:

Converter:

You sure you're not trying to shove one into the other?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

usually the press stud goes onto standard head units,

and the pin for aftermarket radios .. (the convertor)

have you removed the pin from the stud ?
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Ahhhh, that would explain it. I didn't know there was an adapter there :oops: Guess I'll need that part when I get the Sony HU in the Coupe.

I'll try pulling that apart tomorrow ...
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

ye it should just pull off , then plug stud onto the standard headunit
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Thanks all, I got the radio aerial connected this evening!

Only thing is, now the damn HU won't slide all the way into place. Do I need to have the removal keys in the holes before I can do that? I know you need them to remove the HU, but wondered if you need them to install it too.

I don't own a set of keys for HU removal; will be getting some at the end of the month to try and put my Sony HU into the Coupe.
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

it should just clip back into place mate

remove it and check no wires are in the way between the radio and the stupid plate it sits against ,,

you should have 2 square holes either side of the plate it sits against

you have to make sure the wires are pushed to the sides