The curious case of the non working speaker

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Roylewaa
2.0 Turbo

The curious case of the non working speaker

Post by Roylewaa »

Hi chaps

The whole time ive had my D8 the front driverside door speaker has never worked, I assumed it was just a blown speaker so thought nowt of it....Until today when I set about fitted a pair of aftermarket ones I have, there is still no sound coming from it

So far Ive checked the loom in the door to the A pillar (couldint get any further as fusebox in the way) and ive checked the connections from the back of the head unit to the multiplug under the centre console, so far nothing, not even a crackle

Where do the cableing for the door speakers go off to from the multiplug as Im assuming theres a break somewhere

I tried to bypass it with new wiring from the headunit to the speaker but couldint feed the new wire through the bulkhead :evil:

After 3 hours and mush swearing I gave up, any help and advice would be really appreciated

The back passengerside one is off aswell, but I don't even wanna go there yet
D8 2.1 TD saloon, oh yeah :)
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Re: The curious case of the non working speaker

Post by waue1978 »

Before you do go faffing about routing wires, take the headunit out, determine which output goes to the speaker in question & run a short piece of wire from the stereo to a speaker - just to make sure that it isn't a problem inside the stereo.

You'd absolutely kick yourself if you went to all the trouble of routing wires through & found it still didn't work.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Roylewaa
2.0 Turbo

Re: The curious case of the non working speaker

Post by Roylewaa »

Yeah I was thinking that after the 2nd hour, what if it's the head unit, although it was ok in my Mondeo

I really don't know where to start, if you take the kick panel off at the driverside next to the throttle pedal, and the 2 10mil bolts can you move the fusebox to get access to feed a cable through?

Is it a multiplug in the a pillar behimd the rubber gromits?

Cheers for the help
D8 2.1 TD saloon, oh yeah :)