Ipod Connectivity

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: Ipod Connectivity

Post by FarmerPug »

Aftermarket no sorry it just was a clarion original cd player out of a car with no jbl amp so the sound quality was utter shite I've put the cassette player back in and it works with the amp right so there is glass shattering power and crispneess again although the convenience of a dash cd player is gone I still have the changer and I'll be adding an iPod dock soon.
The standard audio system in the exec is good enough for me at 10 it's more than loud enough.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

so the clarion cd players are not as good as tape player sound quality?
strange that iwouid of thought theyd be same out-put ,

Glad ididnt get one now,
im just going to put an aftermarket unit in till a cd changer turns up,
got one from scrap yard and its gone in same place as my original one (Wheelie-bin) same fault on both Water-ingress,
it was only a fiver lost so no biggie,

iwill be checking my next one if iget one out of a scrap car, lesson learnt me thinks,

If it wasnt for this stereo vin -coding thing icouid of got a clarrion cd player, scrap yard as loads of them in £10 each be a bargain if they were plug-n play :(
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

The cd player I got wAsnt compatible with the jbl amp the casette player was and that's what made the big differene in snound quality something to do with line levels
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

The Clarion tape deck head unit fitted to JBL-equipped 406s does not contain an amplifier - it merely delivers line-level audio through the standard ISO block audio out wiring, which runs to the amp. Nice and simple.

Except when you want to fit an after-market head unit to your car - given that all after-market head units contain an amplifier and deliver amplified audio through the standard ISO block audio out wiring. Which goes to the JBL amp. Which amplifies the already-amplified signal, and blows your eardrums in.

What you need to do if you have a JBL-equipped 406 is to buy a head-unit that provides pre-amp outputs, which come in the form of three pairs of standard RCA sockets (1st pair does Front L/R, 2nd pair does Rear L/R, 3rd pair does Subwoofer). You then get a little connector from Nexxia which takes the Front L/R and Rear L/R in via four male RCA jacks and turns them into an ISO block socket, which you plug your car's ISO block audio connector to. What you're left with is pre-amp line-level signal being passed to your JBL amp, which duly amplifies it and you get to hear it at a more suitable level. WIN!

EXCEPT!!! The fecking alternator seems to like to interfere, and you need a pair of Ground Loop Isolators (GLIs) to shield the signal from interference. I don't have these yet, so I'm left with a head unit that gives a bloody good impression of having tinnitus... Will get the GLIs next month, I reckon, and will have another shot at getting it all working properly.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I had used some resistor things i call supressors because of the amp issue, but the bass was all gone, it sounded more like the sound was coming from a radio downstairs than actually in the cabin. Now its very clear, but it can also be louder now.
Hopefully the ipod setup will sound nice.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

I bought a pair of RCA-male-to-RCA-female Ground Loop Isolators on eBay for a total of £7.10 posted (not bad; the guy from the local car audio fitter was going to charge me a tenner each, plus £40 an hour for fitting, and he reckoned 2 hours).

Hopefully I'll get them this weekend, and if it's not pissing down with rain, will try and get them in the car (centre console will come apart and everything).

However, I've also just pre-ordered Portal 2 via the Steam store, and there's talk that it will be released early - so I'll probably find my weekend disappearing as a result of this :supafrisk:
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I got the fm modulator, the ipod dock when i put my phone in said not compatible.
But i have sorted a charger supply
i dont think though that the iphone puts calls out the 30 pin dock connector. Another one of apples little niggles
GTXJez
2.0 16v

Post by GTXJez »

You could try a 'CAssette to MPG' Adapator?
Only £5 online on the Bay of E?
They say 'it works with iPod/iPhone'......

May be completely wrong but for 5 Sovereigns its worth a try?
I have one for my MP3 player works great but haven't tried it with a iPhone.
Returned from the dark side and back to a 406
2.0 16v GTX HPi Saloon - China Blue Pearlescent 106k - One Owner from New - Full dealer History
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

here:
i installed the wired fm modulator today, its a very good job, sound quality is superb, and i fixed the dry solder bit at the back of my radio, so even full bass/treble/loudness on it doesnt do THE NOISE anymore.
Just need a dock now, the one i got didnt work, so just need to find one that does, and sits in the ash tray, which has been stripped down for the dock.
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

radio sound quality in general is very poor . if i'm listening to a 320kbps mp3 audio cd and switch to the radio the sound quality drops something shocking.
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Ive ripped my standard unit out today,
and put something decent in,

the differnce is unbeleivable, sounds like its got a subwoofer in the back and the front tweeters have come to life.
much better than the standard one,
all ive lost is the radio display ican live with that,

radio 1 as been evicted from the car at last 8)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

im waiting for the ipod dock now, one problem i can see is the duh duut zeeee z z zit noise when a phones near the radio what causes that.