Putting a radio in

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Putting a radio in

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:Eh, thats the gear lever, not much to them when the fancy knob and gater is taken away.

about the 406 radio, what part of the wiring on the back sends information to the display, can any after market radio still send info about whats going on to the display?
Nope you will loose the display with an aftermarket radio

ive heard some Toyota radios will work in the 406 dont know if thats true,

heard mention of the Toyota ayago, being a pug in disguise :roll:
toyota ayago radio.jpg
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

From what i can work out its the last Row of pins on the Radio (See-pic)
that sends the info to the screen,

the Toyota radio dosent have the last Row of pins, so it wouid only work its own display and not the Mfd,
not good, :(
406 display.JPG
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

toyotas these days seem to be all integrated radios, but even the old ones did get fairly flashy japanese radios.

i went into the attic and got the cd player slotted it in and it works volume a bit high but its sounding good
Last edited by FarmerPug on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:toyotas tesees days seem to be all itnergrated radios but even the old ones did get fairly flashy japanese radios.

i went into the attic and got the cd player slotted it in and it works volume a bit high but its sounding good
took me a while to understand that bit,
Your spellin is getting almost as bad as mine, :lol:

Yup the Intergrated radios, are getting pretty comon,
But they Carnt be that Good because everyones Ripping them out and fitting sony Double dins,

iwill be investing in the pp200 ithink, and then il have a Bash at vin-coding A radio,

is it easy to use,? :roll:
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

sorry about the spelling a bit of iphone typing there :oops:
the avensis had a good radio and it was integrated, the radio in my dads primera is the dash and quite a crap one at that but it really cant be replaced there is no place to put a radio
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Ive been at a project to make a better iPhone holder in the car, so i decided to fit one of them air vent holders to the middle air vent.

Although i actually took the vent out, cut tabs in the back of it so the holder would slot in securely, then cut the directional fins so they can still move with the holder in place, then the holder got a dab of superglue to keep it nice and secure.

Then i got a wire off ebay that connects into an iPhones dock, that does both the sound and charging (instead of a wire at the top for the sound, and one in the dock for charging), this also meant opening up a usb charger and wiring it into the 12v supply, and connecting two male 3.5mm jacks with an adaptor:

A bit of adjustment to the top air vent panel, i just used the soldering iron to cut a hole for the wire to slip through:

Connect up the wires and reassemble the dash:
(bit of sawdust from the shed, and the card is holding the vent in place until the silicone filling the hole i cut dries.
and the phone in place:
it even holds and works the iPhone 4:

Thats the main advantage of the holder is that it still holds my iPhone even with the silicone case over it, and there isn't any permanent damage done to the dash, only the air vent has been changed, and i have a number of spare ones in the attic so returning the thing to standards not a big issue.
It also doesn't seem to do the phone 'dit dit dizzzzit dizt duh dizt' noise to the radio, as bad in this position as it did when i had the phone sitting in the ashtray.

What do you think?
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Good job.
That's where my phone goes -- in a very similar holder -- but I have an ugly curly cable going down to the lighter socket.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

i had that temporary for a while but just took the dash apart today and hid it because the cable kept getting tangled with the gearstick, the only issue is the usb charger is bad when it charges it interfers with the sound, its a cheapie one i might try a better usb charger such as one of the belkin ones only a coulpe of pounds.

this tomtom app is class, i got some itunes vouchers for my birthday so got it off the app store, whats the point in a seperate sat nav, this can do it just as good if not better than my dads old garmin, although it quickly uses the phones battery if not on the charger