Multi changers what will and what wont????????.

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

pipe*n*slippers
1.8 8v

Multi changers what will and what wont????????.

Post by pipe*n*slippers »

Hi Folks
Im new to the group and also to Peugeot cars :shock: . Just returning to 4 wheels after a spell on 2 and the 406 has been my weapon of choise and i have been very pleased with it so far :cheesy: . Now this question has probably been asked before but ive got a 2001 2.0 HDi GLX Which has a Clareon head unit and has all the buttons for a multi changer so will any Clarion multi changer fit the head unit. Or can i get an adapter to plug the ageing Goodmans multi changer from my van into the head unit.Thankyou.
Bloody hell cars aint that bad
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Err, forgive me for saying this, but have you looked under the flappy bit of trim in the boot on the left hand side?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
pipe*n*slippers
1.8 8v

Welton wrote:Err, forgive me for saying this, but have you looked under the flappy bit of trim in the boot on the left hand side?

Weldon concider yourself forgiven.

I know where your coming from the GLX (according to what car) is speced as having a multi changer as standard fit but mine (for what ever reason) has'nt :cry:

In the boot where the multi changer should be located (on the left behind the light cluster) is a plastic storage tray :?: :?: :?: :?: :frown:

so back to the original question will any clarion changer fit the clarion head unit.
pipe*n*slippers
1.8 8v

Ok folks getting nowere locating a Clarion multi changer for the 406 but understand with the aid of an addapter some Sony items will fit anyone know the model numbers of the Sony item.
sollyboy
1.8 8v

Post by sollyboy »

On E Bay you can pick up Clarion 6 x CD changers from around £40 up to £80, seems to be two types of plugs for the units ,either a blue rectangle one or a round plug , See if you can find a cable hidden away somwhere in the lefthand compartment. Some units on Ebay come with the cable, the cable a loan can cost a fair bit from a shop, So check Ebay. My 406 glx hdi has a blue rectangle plug , factory fitted cd changer.just purchashed one , didn'nt work sent it back , but found out that my cd changer magizine needed replacing , magizine cost £8 from E Bay.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Oops, I forgot, I have a Sony 10 disc changer in my garage complete with the long leads you need :cheesy:

I rescued it from my FTO after it was written off :oops: (the music was still playing after the dust settled so it's not damaged in anyway) the Insurance Co. let me have it away. :cheesy:

Let me know if you want it?

I'll let you know what sort of leads it has when I have a look later.
Cars in my care:
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Welton wrote:I rescued it from my FTO after it was written off :oops:
You'll have to explain that one... See, my friend also wrote his FTO off (still don't understand what was so special about it) by crashing head on into some other car. Had to cut out of it. Me and him spent a good month then taking it all apart and sell it for parts so I know how it's constructed :D .. ish!

What's your story? Or was it your Mrs'?
Welly

Post by Welly »

It was a 'Head On' with a Checz [spelling?] lorry in June this year, I was driving and there was nothing I could do, he was delivering here and made off down a country lane on 'his' side of the road :roll:

The FTO is contructed very lightly, especially at the front :shock:

In fact that car ended my Jap car 4 year affair for good really, you see it seems that owners of Jap cars pretty much neglect them because they are so reliable, consequently when a picky fart like me comes along I have this strong urge to put everything right with the car ASAP, I had done this with the FTO until it was written off so in the end a waste of time and money, and I got rogered on the settlement because FTO's are now cheap as chips (and rightly so).

I too was not overly impressed with the FTO, it was a GR model, noisey, poor brakes, it was the 'better' manual gearbox but the change was really bad when cold, all sorts of suspension knocks, air conditioning was a constant nightmare (£500.00 in 12 months) the engine felt 'rough' for a V6, noisey tappets from cold (£450.00), cramped interior (dangerous for rear passengers as their heads touched rear screen), and hard to get in and out of. On the plus side it handled well, was reasonably quick, 170BHP, and looked 'different'.

With the settlement money I bought a BMW 318tds Compact 'S' reg and it is fantastic, well made and wants for nothing, nothing at all, also Mrs Welly loves it more than the Mitsubishit and it does 37MPG all over the place.

I'll dig out a pic of the stricken FTO if you like, £6200.00 worth of damage :shock: and a sore neck/shoulders :(
Cars in my care:
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Funnily enough my friend also crashed into a car on "their" side of the road (American....!). He had a GR manual as well (1.8L 16v). How fast does your Beamer TDS feel compared to the HDi, as I was thinking of that particular model before plunging for the 406...?
Welly

Post by Welly »

Captain Jack wrote:How fast does your Beamer TDS feel compared to the HDi, as I was thinking of that particular model before plunging for the 406...?
It's the strangest Diesel I have ever known, not as capable as the HDi with only a 1.7 with 90BHP but intead of the big 'lump' of torque you normally get, it drives more like a petrol and likes to rev :shock:

Maximum 'pull' occurs at full throttle between 3000 - 4000 revs, and like most BM's is geared for acceleration, totally different to the HDi.

In real terms it's not that far behind the Pug TBH.

They have got enormous intercoolers and can be chipped to 110 BHP :mrgreen:

It has very sweet ride and nicely balanced handling, if you turn off the ASC you can flick the back end out :lol:

It's very well put together and I can honestly say there is not one thing that needs 'doing' on the car so that's good enough really.

Here it is, with 152,000 miles on the clock :shock:

Cars in my care:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I've driven a 320D and must say they're very nice. The handling's better than the 406, rear-wheel drive is always nice, but the comfort level ain't quite there despite it being just as spacious as the 406 behind the wheel (something a fatass like me needs to consider! :) ). Didn't look that easy to stick an aftermarket stereo head in either...

The engine was nice and torquey without the normal diseasel 'lump' at least at the bottom end, but it was fairly noisy and just doesn't compare to say a VW TDI engine. At the top end it just died horribly. It'd probably pull you 0-100 in 6th fine, but when it hit a certain level of revs it would pretty sharply run out of steam. I doubt you could come close to red-lining it in 4th-6th without changing down

Personally I'd prefer a petrol (2.0T/3.0V6) 406 or a Passat TDI to a 3-series, and save the extra money for repairs and beer. Well maybe not the VW. I don't like their armrests!
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Yes, driven 320D's (150bhp model)... very nice but felt heavy. Driven a 150bhp VW Golf and I really loved that engine. Soooo torquey.. and stick it in 6th gear on the motorway doing 80mph at a tick over 2000rpm. Audi TDis are also nice... them German diesels seem to be much more refined than my 2.1TD.. but not sure how they compare to an HDi as I've only ever driven one - a 2.2 HDi on a test drive and it didn't seem to pull as hard as the VW/Audi/Beamer.
pipe*n*slippers
1.8 8v

changer

Welton you have a P.M 8)