No FM sound

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

neildavies
3.0 24v

No FM sound

Post by neildavies »

After an accident, I had the rear screen re-fitted during repairs and I had interferance on weaker FM stations when I put the screen on. The repair garage sent out and auto electrician out and he said it was a loose earth. But when I got back in the car after, I had no FM reception.

Today I had the aerial and aerial amp replaced but it's the same. But with the aerial connected, it locks onto stations and shows the station name and if you turn the radio up to full, you can faintly hear the station. The electrician now thinks the FM tuner within the radio has gone, as AM works fine. I'm waiting for the insurance company to now send out one of their diagnostic people so they can probably tell me it's not related to the accident and I'm on my own.

Can anyone shed any light on this, as everyone my end seems stumped and I can see an insurance brick wall coming....
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Is the aeriel actually used for AM? Quick test would be to pull the head unit out and yank the aeriel lead while listening to an AM station...
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Just been out and unplugged the aerial and it is used for AM, as with the aerial unplugged, am looses reception.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Could try getting a £20 radio from Argos or somewhere with a 'no quibble' return policy? That'd tell you if it's the radio or aerial...
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

The insurance company are sending someone out this week. I've spoken to their radio engineer and he said it could be the FM tuner in the radio. They'll try another aerial on the radio to test it.
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

mjb wrote:Is the aeriel actually used for AM? Quick test would be to pull the head unit out and yank the aeriel lead while listening to an AM station...
what !!

an aerial is needed no matter what the station or fequency
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Aerial is definitely working, I'm waiting for the insurance company to send out an engineer, so they can say it's nothing to do with the accident, and it's all up to me then. Early opinions are that they think the FM tuner has packed up in the radio.

If they can't repair it, then I'm looking at over £200 for a replacement radio in Peugeot (I know what else I could get, but with the display, CD changer, amp and steering controls, and I want to keep the car original)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

neildavies wrote:If they can't repair it, then I'm looking at over £200 for a replacement radio in Peugeot (I know what else I could get, but with the display, CD changer, amp and steering controls, and I want to keep the car original)
I know what you mean there, but you can't you still get all that stuff to work with another stereo? I know you can get the stalk to work, not sure about the display.

If you did fit a different unit, just keep the Pug one to pop back in when you sell the car (sorry to say 'sell', I didn't mean to upset you, but one day........one day you will change your car you know).
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

chili wrote:
mjb wrote:Is the aeriel actually used for AM? Quick test would be to pull the head unit out and yank the aeriel lead while listening to an AM station...
what !!

an aerial is needed no matter what the station or fequency
Not heard of an internal ferrite rod antenna?
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Welton wrote: I know what you mean there, but you can't you still get all that stuff to work with another stereo? I know you can get the stalk to work, not sure about the display.

If you did fit a different unit, just keep the Pug one to pop back in when you sell the car (sorry to say 'sell', I didn't mean to upset you, but one day........one day you will change your car you know).
I know what you mean Welton, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to keeping my cars original, and I'd rather enjoy it like that while I've got it. I know that a lot will think I'm daft spending double on a lesser player, but I still like to keep the car as it came out of the factory.

Stupid I know, but that's me!!