Still no Radio

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Nandad
1.8 16v

Still no Radio

Post by Nandad »

Exectuative Estate with a Philips cassette and auto changer, aerial middle front.

No radio, fitted new aerial base (rusty roof) still no radio.
White powder around radio/aerial connecton, cleaned still no radio.
Checked with working radio still no b~~~~y radio.
Desperation set in! Kicked the wall, kissed the wife, had a cigarette (first in 2 years) and a mug of tea.

Brother in law suggested doing a continuity check between both ends of the coax. The cable is busted.
Read somewear that the cable is in two pieces. Correct?
Anyone replaced one and know where I can get one? Can I make one up from an coax extension lead
Because even fitting new kit needs an aerial.

Thanks steve_earwig for imfo about replacing aerial
omega
3.0 24v

Re: Still no Radio

Post by omega »

well i have 2 spare cars both with complete aerals so if you need one let me know.
Nandad
1.8 16v

Post by Nandad »

Ta. With leads? Cost?
Nandad
1.8 16v

Post by Nandad »

Hi
Do you know is you can you earth the coax aerial lead at the radio end? Had to put fibre glass patch in roof caus I’m not going to remove all the headlining for welding. Holes too big to fil even with JB Stickweld
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Dont know if this helps or not but:

Halfords and Car shops used to sell Car Airiels that stuck on the inside of the Windscreen Small unit which runs off 12volts.
iirc there was around 10quid but they always gave a good Radio signal,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Interi ... B003JIADSE
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

Nandad wrote:Ta. With leads? Cost?
yep the whole thing from where it plugs into the radio right up to the roof
do you want the mast as well
Nandad
1.8 16v

Post by Nandad »

Omega
Ta, I dont need the masts. How much do I owe you? PM your email assress. Out of the country till wednesday. Just run an earth lead from the aerial. What a bitch down the a frame, still thats done. If all this don't work my singing will have to improve.
Many thanks.

Lozz
Many thanks for the imfo. Seen one today at Halfords. Will keep it in mind if all goes pear shaped.
blzeebub
1.6 8v

Post by blzeebub »

I had something similar to this. The day i took my new pug off a mate i decided to go to the valet monkeys. Next morning after a bit of rain i was cunfuzzled as to why there was water on the centre console...... then i saw some on the light unit on the roof. Borrox says i. Off to see my mate and he'd not had this problem so a quick search brings up the common fault of the base of the aerial leaking. The cunning plan was to pop it off and put some sealant round it. Snap, went the base. Borrox again but after a quick discussion we decided to swap it for the one off my old one. So dismantled both and put the old one back together first - all works fine. Now to put my new one back together, turn radio on and..... bugger all. Dismantle, look again, turn radio on, bugger all. After about half an hour of head scratching and scrubbing rusty bits i was almost at a complete loss until i shoved the screw driver into the end on the aerial cable only to find the radio worked. Basically the corrosion had eaten away at about 3mm of inner cable just before where it connects to the aerial unit and where i had disturbed it the last flake on conductivity had given up. I ended up shoving a small piece of wire in to 'plug' the gap and its been fine ever since and also meant i didnt have to strip the entire cable out.

B->
2003 2.2 HDi SE in Samarkand Blue replaced the good ol' 99 2.0 HDi 90 GTX. Now i know what the pedal on the right does!