MP3 player connection

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

MP3 player connection

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Hi all,
New to this forum, I have just purchased a 2002 110 hdi rapier estate with one owner & only 78 thou showing with recepits to prove v happy so far, but I'd like to fit a mp3 player conection anyone know if this can be done. :?
Cheers all.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: MP3 player connection

Post by lozz »

Hi,
If irember correctly, a MP3 connection can be run through the CD changer connector
There was a thread on this but icarnt find it, :(

Hopefully someone else will know,

Welcome to the forum btw. 8)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Have a look on eBay / Amazon for Mp3 connectors for Peugeot. If you don't have a CD multichanger in the boot on the left, then the connector for it on the back of the standard radio can be used to plug in a connector for Mp3.
May even be able to use the stalk controls too?

Very low mileage for diesel...... :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
V6Exec
3.0 24v

Post by V6Exec »

Another option is to install a parrot MK device - added bonus of hands free
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

I think this is the most thorough thread on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6790

An easy way out is to just buy an aftermarket radio with MP3 capability, but I bet you want to keep the stock radio if you can. Depending on which radio you have, there are a couple of options, in order of decreasing sound quality. The first option is the best.

If your radio has a button and input for a CD changer, you can use that. This applies for all of the Clarion and JBL stereo options, I don't know about the others. In essence, you buy an adapter box which gives you an auxiliary input by faking a CD changer. Unless your car was originally optioned with a CD changer, you will need someone with Peugeot Planet 2000 to enable the CD changer functionality, the setting is part of the MFD settings in PP2000. This is the option I chose, and I've been very satisfied with it.

If your radio does not have the button and input for a CD changer, you can use an FM modulator. This plugs in between the aerial and the plug on the back of the radio and gives you an auxiliary input. It ties up a frequency (usually of your own choice) on your radio dial, whenever you want to listen to the aux input, you just tune to that channel.

Thirdly, if you don't want to pull anything apart, you can get FM modulators that are actually radio transmitters. Just plug it in your player, tune in on the radio and start listening. The downside is that the sound quality is usually worse, and because you're trying to transmit radio waves through the metal body of the car, you may have interference issues and such. A friend of mine is very satisfied with this solution, btw.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

I fitted an xcarlink-unit to mine. It emulates a cd-changer, and is hidden behind the radio. It's completely transparent to the head-unit, so it shows elapsed time, allows next/previous, etc, and also has bluetooth connectivity. Bluetooth has slightly worse audio quality than mp3.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Thanks for all the info guy's,
gonna look into it when the trouble 'n' strifes not lookin :lol: ,
Mines got a clarion head unit / single cd player with the remote controls & multi player compatabilty but no multi-play in boot :( oh well), I must say being dragged into the new millenium has it's upsides or so im told! :wink:
Will take some photo's when I've given her a good clean & then worked out how to upload them :shock:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:

8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote: Mines got a clarion head unit / single cd player with the remote controls & multi player compatabilty but no multi-play in boot :(
That was also my starting point. Simply connect the multichanger-emulator to the head unit and place it behind the radio. You probably also have to enable the CD-changer with PP2000.
impster
1.8 16v

Post by impster »

For a few quid (occasionally even available in Poundland!) a cassette adapter works and is much less hassle unless of course you're after all singing all dancing MFD display output.

Mine cost £1. It even doubles up as an in car bluetooth phone adapter, as the phone also pumps out via a 3.5mm jack and routes all phone audio via what it thinks is a headset.

Works for me!
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Impster,
Thanks, but mines a single disc player & muti disc controler only, No cas & I am after v good sound reproduction :cheesy:
Many thanks for your imput thou! Paul.

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

KozmoNaut,
This is the way I want to go, do I have to use pp2000 to get it to work with my car :frown:
I was hoping for plug in & play.
many thanks Paul.

KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

That depends on the generation of your car. As it's a 2002, it's definitely a D9 (facelifted model). If your car is partially muxed like mine with a Clarion radio, you need PP2000 to enable to CD changer function.

If it is fully muxed, I think you can just remove power from the radio for a couple of minutes and plug it back in, it should recognize the new input automatically.

Bear with me here, what do your wiper and indicator arms look like? Are they squared off at the ends, or are they sort of rounded? And what does your radio look like?

Before ordering anything, you should remove the radio and find the parts number printed on it, to make sure you get a compatible adapter. Some later-model radios don't even need an adapter, just the right cable.
Last edited by KozmoNaut on Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

Whoops, double post.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Hi kozmoNaut,
Thanks for that, mine are the rounded type & my stereo's a clarion RD3, I'm sorry but I can't be more specific than that at the mo' as I haven't worked out how to remove the stereo yet! :roll:

KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

Your radio looks like this, correct?
2136.jpg
Clarion RD3 radio
(53.32 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
In that case, you need either a couple of thin screwdrivers or a special removal tool to get it out. You insert your tool of choice into the small holes on either side of the radio. This releases a small metal clip that holds the radio in. With the tool in place, you can pull out the radio. It's obviously easiest to do with the proper tool, since it acts like a handle you can pull on.

I think this is the correct one, but there are a couple of different versions that look similar but aren't compatible. You should probably visit a local store and ask them first: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_265879

Once you've got the radio out, I think the RD3 is actually easier to fool than the previous radios. According to a mate of mine, you basically need to short pin 15 (CD changer ground) and 16 (CD changer supply) with a 60 ohm resistor to enable to the CD changer input. Then you can supposedly just connect up your input. Left signal to pin 19, right signal to pin 20 and ground to pin 18. I make no guarantees for this method, it's all second/third hand information. If it works, you'll obviously have a basic aux input, no iPod control or anything.

If you're not very handy with electronics, I think the adapter you want for your radio is called "VPGX010". It should be plug-and-play once you get the radio out.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon