Rear speakers not working

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

danllew
1.6 8v

Rear speakers not working

Post by danllew »

I've recently purchased a 2003 406 LX HDI estate and the rear speakers dont seem to be working at all. As far as i can tell they're wired up but i can't figure out why they don't work. Is there supposed to be an amp in the car to power them or something? there is some adapters tucked away in the back of the car but i cant find anything for them to plug in to. but it doesnt look like theyre to do with the speakers at all. any help will be appreciated. thanks.
2.0 LX HDI Estate (110bhp)
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Re: Rear speakers not working

Post by Captain Jack »

It's not the fader control set to only play via fronts, is it?
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
danllew
1.6 8v

Post by danllew »

I did check but there doesnt seem to be an option for the fader, only bass, treble, balance, loud and auto volume. Unless theres another way to change it that i havent been able to figure out?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I had this on mine

If you flick through the audio menu on the stereo, does the fader option pop up, between the balance and the auto-volume?

If not the you need to enable the fader setting with PP2000.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
danllew
1.6 8v

Post by danllew »

GingerMagic wrote: If not the you need to enable the fader setting with PP2000.

I have no idea what that is haha is there any way to fix it without that?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

No, sorry.

Maybe someone local to you has the diagnostic program ' PP2000 ' and could enable the fader for you, it will take 5mins, or you could go to Peugeot dealers but they will charge for the privilege.
danllew
1.6 8v

Post by danllew »

Ahh thats a shame, i don't think anyone local to me would have it, and i dont fancy paying Peugeot to do it as no doubt it'll be expensive. Thank you for your time anyway.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

We do have some Welsh members here, and some on the coupe forum too, so maybe add a more exact area where you are and perhaps someone can meet up and help you.

Possibly speak to a local Peugeot garage and see if they can help? May not be as pricey as feared.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

GingerMagic wrote:We do have some Welsh members here, and some on the coupe forum too, so maybe add a more exact area where you are and perhaps someone can meet up and help you.

Possibly speak to a local Peugeot garage and see if they can help? May not be as pricey as feared.
:arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu: :lol: :arrowu:
My main steelers wanted over £300 just to tow my car in & re-program it after disconecting my battery :lol:, :cry:
That's why I bought pp2000 :roll:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
danllew
1.6 8v

Post by danllew »

Thanks for your help guys, i'll have a look to see if i can get my hands on one of those. they seem to be a worth while investment.
danllew
1.6 8v

Post by danllew »

After going to a dealer to ask them about the problem the guy behind the desk told me that my reason behind the speakers not working (fade option not being activated) wasn't good enough and before they could do anything they'd need to do a diagnostic check which would cost £140 and then an additional £70 for any work they would need to do to get the speakers working after that. So i called them scamming gits and replaced the head unit to a sony one as it has usb and aux connections. This has fixed the problem and the sound is so much better. But i now have the problem of the new head unit not turning on when i turn the ignition on or turning off when i turn the car off and take the key out. I have to do both manually and when i turn the car on again none of the settings have been saved which is a real pain. I'm half tempted to return the new head unit and just deal with the rear speakers not working if i cant fix this issue. Can anyone offer some advice on how to solve this problem?

Thanks, Dan.
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

I'm sure you just need to swap over a couple of wires on the iso cable. Sure someone else on here can confirm, I think there is a yellow and a red wire that need swapping over, that way the stereo will remember the settings.
1997 2 litre GLX 4dr now dead!
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire HDi
danllew
1.6 8v

Post by danllew »

Hi, I've swapped over the red and yellow cables and i believe that has fixed the problem with the memory. But it still stays on when i turn the ignition off and take the key out. Is there any way to fix this or am i just going to have to manually turn it off everytime?
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Post by leestudd30 »

I would just turn it off manually, I always do, never left it on. And if you've bought an aftermarket stereo ie pioneer, alpine etc it will have a removable faceplate for security so you've still got to touch it anyway.
1997 2 litre GLX 4dr now dead!
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire HDi
Nightshade
1.8 16v

Post by Nightshade »

Nah, you can definitely fix it to turn off when the key is removed.
Every after market stereo I've come across is designed to do this using an ignition feed - i.e a 12v feed that is only present when the ignition is on.

If yours isn't turning off, you have a permanent 12v feed going to the terminal on the head unit that requires an ignition feed. As you've already swapped one of the wires on the ISO connector over, it should be just a case of swapping one more. The only difficulty you may have is determining which wires to swap.
Consult the instruction manual for the head unit - it should show you which terminal wants the ignition feed. Then ideally you want a test light or multimeter to prod the remaining terminals on the car side of the ISO connector to determine which is the right feed. Look for the one that lights the test light with the ignition on but doesn't with the key taken out. Swap over, job done!
1.9 XUD, 97 estate