Upgrading from stock

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Nightshade
1.8 16v

Upgrading from stock

Post by Nightshade »

Evening all,

I could use some advice on the best way to go about upgrading from stock. Not sure which system is in stock, however it's not the jbl - no amp in the boot.

So, I have a clarion HU which has been my pride and joy for many a year, however it's on it's way out. I was thinking about replacing it with something mechless - possibly Pioneer MVH150UI.
I also have a 10 inch Rockford P1 sub in a box from my last install many a moon ago. I'd like to add this back into the system, hidden in an enclosure in the boot recesses (think that's where the jbl amp would have gone if I'd have had one?). I'll need an amp, but not sure which I'd go with. It'll likely have to be mounted under the seat so it's not on show ;already had 1 break in this year!, which is also why I'd like to hide the sub in the boot cubby holes. Any tips on how to achieve this?

Finally the front speakers need addressing. I have factory fit components right now, but they sound dreadful. I'm not sure on either replacing them with some coaxials and disconnecting the factory dash tweeter or opting for some cheap components as a direct replacement?
I'd be looking at basic components, so I think I might get better quality coaxials for the same kind of cash, however that seems like a downgrade in sound staging, and I'm not sure on having all the sound fired at my ankles... :frown:

Lastly I'm working on a real tight budget. I'll need to upgrade in stages, so can anyone suggest the best route, and or what I should be buying?

If it helps, the last set of speakers I had were infinity reference components, which I really didn't like. I found them too bright for my taste....
I'd greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

regs
Stu
1.9 XUD, 97 estate
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Re: Upgrading from stock

Post by leestudd30 »

In my old D8 saloon I replaced the fronts with a set of Alpine SXE 1750S components, they were cheap when I bought them new years back, you can get a set of them now for around £45. I only fitted the door speakers as I couldn't be bothered faffing around with the tweeters but they did sound better than the old factory stuff. They are fitted in my Picasso now and are definately better than the stock ones.
1997 2 litre GLX 4dr now dead!
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire HDi