Poor radio reception

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Des

Poor radio reception

Post by Des »

Original radio fitted in 02 406 Estate has started loosing the signal and I am getting an intermittant hissing sound.
Suspect that it is a poor connection but cannot see how to access behind the radio in console.
Any ideas ?
Last edited by Des on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: Poor radio recepsion

Post by rwb »

See the two holes in the radio? They're for sticking something in for pulling it out. Mine would come out using a narrow screwdriver.

I had poor reception (also 02) but not the hissing. Fixed by replacing the radio.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

And hi and welcome too :)

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
MacWomble
1.8 16v

Post by MacWomble »

Hi Des,

My radio module came out by lifting cassette cover flap, putting my fingers into the cassette hole and it simply pulled out as one big module.
Check your antenna connection too, mine leaked and corroded causing problems. It's behind the front interior light module.

Hope this helps.
MacWomble.
Silver 406 GLX Estate, 1998 2.1 12 valve. 302,000 miles and counting.
White Renault 5 GT Turbo, 1991 58,000 miles, all original, mint condition.
Des

Re: Poor radio reception

Post by Des »

Hi ,
Managed to remove radio as suggested and checked wiring, so far so good reception is perfect, yet to try radio over longer time period though, this is when the problem seems to start.

Many thanks,
Des
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I've putting off doing something about mine until this holiday - it's had lousy radio reception since I got it, but has recently spent more time 'searching' for a signal than playing anything.
Added to that, I have the characteristic 'BANG' going over bumps, (which it's also had from day 1) and my Parrot, (which I added about 6 months back), works but takes ages to disconnect when you get out the car. Inside the house is still in Bluetooth range, so if you answer the phone you can't hear anything, since is still using the car speakers. :roll:

DAY 1

Removed the radio, double checked the aerial cable etc.
Tried an additional chassis earth - no difference.
Proved wiggling the 'speaker' ISO connector gives you a bang through the speakers.
With some misgivings, set about re-soldering everything accessible. The most likley failure point is the solder joints to the PCB carrying the ISO connector pins, but access isn't easy, also did the PCB/main board connections. While I was at it, I went over all the antena / radio related stuff on the main board.
Put it back in - what an awkward operation this is. Not easy with the standard wiring, once you add anything else......

Results -
- No more bangs. :cheesy:
- Radio improved, but still not great. :)
- Phone mute no longer works. :(
- Forgot all about finding an alternate Parrot supply that shuts off quicker. :x

DAY 2

Removed the radio again, found I'd pulled the bullet connector on the mute lead apart last time. :oops:
Spent ages re-solving the, 'Which of the THREE mute connectors is correct' riddle.
Set about determining why the parrot takes minutes to shut down. Turns out the 'compatible' ISO connector takes it's permanent live, correctly, from pin 7, but it's 'ignition live' is tapped onto pin 4, not 6 as it should be. (Pin 4 is one of the VAN bus connections - realisation belatedly dawns on me). :oops:
Sure enough, Pin 6 loses it's feed immediately you turn the key off.

Results -
- Phone mute working again.
- Parrot disconnects about 10 seconds after you take the key out. :D

Suppose I should have known really, but I thought maybe the radio works like the MFD - still powered up with the key off, just 'told' via the VAN bus to shut down....

Ah well, all good in the end - how did 2013 end for you?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Des

Post by Des »

Sorry for not replying sooner but have not been looking at the site recently. Sounds like fun what you have attempted.
Still have problem of loss of signal.
Radio works fine for 10 mins then the signal breaks up and the hissing starts again, though oddly this doesn't happen on Long Wave where the reception is poor anyway.
Suspect problem is with the aerial have heard that they have a booster but as yet have not investigated further due to all wet weather. Thank goodness for CD,s which work perfectly.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Still more or less on the same page myself. Radio's still about the same as yours, particularly bad in wet weather, (but everything else is now OK).

As you say thank god for the CD changer. :roll:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)