4050 Plugs and Sockets

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

4050 Plugs and Sockets

Post by Rolebama »

My standard unit has a cassette player, and I would like to somehow get a CD player in there. I removed the unit yesterday and found an unused socket on the back of the unit. Is this for a CD changer in the boot? If so, any ideas as to what CD stacker I should be looking for? If not, what is that socket for?
Alternatively, I could fit my own CD player radio, but am not too happy about having a blank display at the top of the centre. Any ideas as to a good use for this?
1998 2.1 GLX TD
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: 4050 Plugs and Sockets

Post by GingerMagic »

Hmmm, I would personally choose the Clarion CD player that is standard as it is good quality with a built in amp, and you can use the steering wheel controls too. It would need to be 'paired' to the car first.

The blank plates to fit your own standard size CD player are quite good quality and a good colour match if you decide to do this.

Alternatively, the plug at the back is for a CD stacker player. You can instead get an adapter and use this to run an Mp3 player into your stereo. I am not sure exactly but there are several threads here about which is best.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

GM, everything you've said applies to D9s with the OEM Clarion cassette/CD :( The Philips 4050 was fitted to D8s, and there wasn't an OEM CD unit for these cars unfortunately.

From what I could discover when I had mine, the tall black vertical socket on the back is for a CD changer, but I could never find one that fitted, nor any reference to a D8 fitted with one!

So I think your best option is an aftermarket head unit I'm afraid :(
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Oh yes, perhaps I should pay more attention to the post....
Sorry :oops:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.