Dash Cam

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

dave406
2.0 Turbo

Re: Dash Cam

Post by dave406 »

Cool with theannor of some drivers round hear I think it's investment
(02) 406 2.0 HDi GTX Estate AUTO AC+SN in Delft Blue aka Rhodes Blue
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

The mini 0801 needs fed with 5v, the fag lighter socket it comes with does that but i blew the original one up wiring it in wrong so i bought a 12v to 5v transformer off ebay and hard wired it in. The part cost less than £10, you could even use one of them usb socket things that stick into a cigarette socket.

The 0801 is useful also because its dock which it slides into has contacts so it will charge it once sitting in the dock, you can take it out of the dock and take still post accident pictures (a fairly useful addition if you have a crash and your phone won't work), the A8 on the other hand has a slidey mount but thats just a bit of plastic, you can't really go anywhere with it removed from its dock because its wired in, even if you do disconnect its wiring it can't be taken round the car for pictures.

I got a video up of the A8 dash cam working, the first few mins are normal speed, then i messed about with it in the editing software to speed things up.
8x7ewTYZOAQ
dave406
2.0 Turbo

Post by dave406 »

Ere did you get them from and do you have links mate. I'm thinking I need these
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

dave406 wrote:Ere did you get them from and do you have links mate. I'm thinking I need these
Do you mean the camera or transformer, the cameras links are in the YT video description, as for the transformer here is the link for it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-15W-Con ... 7715009427
dave406
2.0 Turbo

Post by dave406 »

Both I need them for my own safety got stopped tonight saying a matxhing mine was seen to bilk or whatever it'scalled proved that it can't of been me with a receipt from asda. But would love the video to back me up. Do they record all the time?
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Hey Frank, assuming you've got it wired to ignition live rather than permanent live, does the Mini 0801 fire up and start recording as soon as you start the car?

Also I assume that it overwrites old files? So with your 32GB card how much time is stored?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Yes, as soon as the ignition is turned on the camera starts up, and starts recording, there is about 10 seconds of a delay before it turns off after turning off the ignition.
It overwrites old files, but to be honest I'm not sure how long it can actually hold, i think the review techmoan does on these cameras specifies how much it can hold, but on the topic of techmoan he recently reviewed the mini 0803 which seems to be a good enough upgrade over the 0801.