How do I route radio live thru Ignition?

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

dustyv

How do I route radio live thru Ignition?

Post by dustyv »

Original post from "Electrical System & Diagnostic" section

Story so far regarding the radio;
Decided to replace the 'old' Clarion (aftermarket) radio with a Sony CDX-G1000U.EUR.
Fitting was straight forward, however the radio stayed on.
Adopted the advice re changing the wiring i.e. Yellow to Red & Red to Yellow, that did make a difference in that the radio now remembers the stations.
But it still does not shut down via the ignition switch.
I am not an electrician so I am a bit out of my depth here.
Would it be OK to piggy back the 'live' feed (but which one from the radio?) to the cigarette lighter feed - now that we have sorted that via the ignition?
Ever in your hands Guru's
Pleased with any advice offered.
Thanks again.

406 LX [HDI 110] 2001
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: How do I route radio live thru Ignition?

Post by Doggy »

One of the pins on your ISO connector should turn off with the ignition key, if it doesn't it may be connected to the VAN comms bus instead, which is not good.

BTW Pug wiring looms use wire no.s printed on the cables rather than colours, which can be confusing. I note your car is a 2001, unfortunately they changed the electrical system architecture during 2001.

To find out whether you have an early, "semi-mux" or later, "full-mux" car, you need to look at the sticker on the insde of the drivers A pillar, that gives the tyre pressures etc. The top number should begin something like 0901589. Digits 2 to 5 inclusive, (9015 in this example), give the DAM code or date of manufacture. If it's before 9001 you have a semi-mux, 9001 on is full.

If you can say which it is, we can probably give you the correct wire no.s
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
dustyv

Re: How do I route radio live thru Ignition?

Post by dustyv »

Doggy thank you for your reply.

I have checked (I didn't even know that sticker existed) and the number quoted is "0908989" with "20764" beneath it?
Please forgive my ignorance but what is the meaning of "semi-mux" and/or "Full-mux" I have seen this a lot on the forum?

Appreciate your assistance with this - it's all a mystery to me.
Thanks