Dashcam sound

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

DaiRees
Site Admin

Dashcam sound

Post by DaiRees »

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. The dashcam has sound (many, many people have commented on my musical tastes :lol: ) but I don't know whether to turn it off. If there were an incident it'd surely be better to have the recording of screeching tyres, revving engines, sounding horns etc., but it obviously picks up my conversations, phone calls, bad singing, stroppy comments about other drivers etc, which really makes me cringe and would probably stop me from using / sharing that footage.

So, sound on or off?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Re: Dashcam sound

Post by KozmoNaut »

Leave it on. You can always bleep it out or cut it completely, but it's impossible to add back sound that could be accident-related.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

yeah leave it on, you can get free apps which will remove the sound tracks from the vids if you need to.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Sound on + Nikki Manaj's new album please :wink:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:Sound on + Nikki Manaj's new album please :wink:
Haha, I wouldn't have thought that'd be your cup of tea Welters.

Anyone know of any good (free) video editors? I just want to be able to trim clips and remove (or replace) the soundtrack.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

If you present video as evidence, and it has been edited in any way, as far as I am aware, it could be contested that as well as editing out unwanted sound, you could have added it, which would probably make it inadmissable. (Insurance claims could also be affected.) Only edit if you want to present it to YouTube or similar.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Rolebama wrote:If you present video as evidence, and it has been edited in any way, as far as I am aware, it could be contested that as well as editing out unwanted sound, you could have added it, which would probably make it inadmissable. (Insurance claims could also be affected.) Only edit if you want to present it to YouTube or similar.
Oh yes of course, if it's something that may be needed I'll always keep the original. Just want to edit for sharing. Mostly to trim 5 minute clips to show just the bit of action you want and occasionally to take out my swearing and singing lol!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

DaiRees wrote:show just the bit of action you want
I'm really* looking forward to watching a video of a middle aged man driving a Volvo Estate to work :o

Only joking mate, things crop up all the time out there. I seem to be on Code Red alert at the moment and nearly get killed six times a day. I have definitely noticed a severe drop in driving standards in general to the point where I seem to be driving for others; slowing them down or stopping them from doing silly things.

They've recently put some traffic-calming chicanes on my commute with the typical :arrowd: :arrowu: priority system of giving way.......NO-ONE seems to know how to use it so consequently drive right at you when you have the right of way.

I pulled up behind a Bini the other day and could see I was being recorded in a little screen in his back window. It was a nice-ish Bini Cooper driven by some older trendy hipster type wearing a scarf and a suit jacket (looked gay if you ask me) I remember wandering if he'd been rear-ended recently so decided it's best to record it from now on) and yes that does sound so wrong....
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:
DaiRees wrote:show just the bit of action you want
I'm really* looking forward to watching a video of a middle aged man driving a Volvo Estate to work :o
Haha, fek arff! :lol:

Iv'e got a couple of minor incidents I'd like to share with you all and I'm sure there'll be more, just for a bit of a chuckle. But trust me, the videos need to be edited for your wellbeing. :lol:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Welly wrote:I'm really* looking forward to watching a video of a middle aged man driving a Volvo Estate to work :o
I get to see it live all too often. :roll:

Leave the sound on, it helps perfect your commentary.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Windows programs I presume?

I can list a few Mac ones, would have to google for windows options..
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

benczuk wrote:Windows programs I presume?
Yup, free-er the better ;)
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

This https://handbrake.fr/ Will transcode the files, but also allows you to remove the audio track easily (which is what I use it for at work) (click the Audio tab and delete the track)

There are lots of recommendations for free editors http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ad-1136264, but I would start with trying the Free Windows Movie Maker http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... ovie-maker which apparently also allows you to Mute the audio
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Thanks mate, I couldn't get Movie Maker to work on my lappy, but from that link you posted I chose Lightworks, downloaded the free version from their website http://www.lwks.com/. It seems OK so far, haven't tried messing with the sound but it trimming videos fine. :)