jbl amp help needed

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

euphiesman

jbl amp help needed

Post by euphiesman »

The basics: bought a coupe came with 2 standard head units one fitted (seller bought of ebay) has code and works but sound only from tweeters by windscreen

2nd head unit (original) has no code

Amp in boot was rusty inside so bought replacement, it's the dingle plug amp if that helps.... still no sound from main speakers ..amp fuse in box by steering wheel is ok

Could the new unit be wrong, how could I check, where (other than peugeot) can I get code for original head, can I bypass the amp to test if speakers have continuity ...

HELP PLEASE I CAN'T GO ON WITH TINNIE MUSIC I CAN BARELY HEAR
euphiesman

Re: jbl amp help needed

Post by euphiesman »

Amp is a single plug not dingle plug .... small screen fat fingers .... lol
MikeBX16V
1.8 8v

Post by MikeBX16V »

I suspect the connections to the amp are faulty, the moisture there may have caused corrosion on the contacts and all they need is a good clean & dry.

I had my head unit coded to my new car by:
http://www.radio-code.co.uk/ Good service, but did cost £37

Check you are getting 12V DC power to the amp in the boot.

The complete audio wiring circuit has been posted

http://406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22195#p223852

Check the wiring from end to end ( a pain, but worthwhile)

The amp is probably remotely switch on by the head unit too.
An oscilloscope would be handy for checking the audio signals are reaching the connector to the amp, this will tell you if the head & wiring are OK. An ac multimeter will suffice, or better still a small external amplifier and test speaker.

The head unit will not be capable of driving speakers without the amp unless it has been retro fitted from a non amplified car. (in which case an attenuator would have been fitted, or you can't turn the volume down properly) You could bypass the amp in this case, but I would just replace the amp.

The complete wiring circuit has been posted on this or the coupe forum, can't remember which.
Check the wiring from end to end ( a pain, but worthwhile)
If the wiring to the amp is OK, and all the signals are present and correct, then the amp has died or your speakers are disconnected.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

The headunit is plugged into the amp input and not the white speaker block that only drives the front tweeters isn't it?