HOW TO INSTALL A USB MODULE IN A CLARION CASSETTE PLAYER FOR

In Car Entertainment, Sat-Nav, Mobile Phones, Media players etc., whats hot, and whats not!

Moderator: Moderators

ynot9456
1.8 8v

HOW TO INSTALL A USB MODULE IN A CLARION CASSETTE PLAYER FOR

Post by ynot9456 »

HOW TO INSTALL A USB MODULE IN A CLARION CASSETTE PLAYER FOR A PEUGEOT 406
Attachments
I ALSO PUT SOME TAPE OVER THE TOP COVER SO IT DOES NOT SHORT THE PCB AS ITS VERY CLOSE TO THE UNDERSIDE.
I ALSO PUT SOME TAPE OVER THE TOP COVER SO IT DOES NOT SHORT THE PCB AS ITS VERY CLOSE TO THE UNDERSIDE.
YOU SHOULD NOW HAVE A WORKING USB MODULE
YOU SHOULD NOW HAVE A WORKING USB MODULE
15741143_10211277273349369_4849950895236702002_n.jpg
NOW THE LAST BIT, REMOVE THE SPRING ARROWED IN THE PIC THIS WILL MAKE THE UNIT THINK THERES A TAPE IN
THEN REMOVE THE TWO SCREWS HOLDING THE NARROW PCB IN ,ITS CONNECTED TO THE PCB AT THE BACK BY THE CONNECTOR IVE MARKED WITH BLUE PEN WE NEED TO DISSCONECT IT, ONCE DISSCONECTED JUST TAPE IT DOWN SO IT CANT MOVE ABOUT. IF YOUR NOT GOING TO USE THE CASSETTE AGAIN THEN CUT THE RIBBON FROM THE TAPE HEAD AND REMOVE IT ALLTOGETHER
(25.85 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
IF YOU WANT TO FIT AN EXTERNAL MICROPHONE REMOVE THE RED &amp; BLACK WIRES AND SOLDER IT IN.<br />NOW YOU CAN PUT THE USB MODULE PCB BACK IN WITH THE TWO SCREWS YOU TOOK OUT EARLIER
IF YOU WANT TO FIT AN EXTERNAL MICROPHONE REMOVE THE RED & BLACK WIRES AND SOLDER IT IN.
NOW YOU CAN PUT THE USB MODULE PCB BACK IN WITH THE TWO SCREWS YOU TOOK OUT EARLIER
FEED THE WIRES UP THE SAME AS YOU DID WITH THE AUDIO WIRES
FEED THE WIRES UP THE SAME AS YOU DID WITH THE AUDIO WIRES
IMG_20170101_100841.jpg
THE RED &amp; BLACK 12V IN GETS SOLDERED HERE
THE RED & BLACK 12V IN GETS SOLDERED HERE
NOW SOLDER THE WIRES TO THE USB MODULE LIKE THIS
NOW SOLDER THE WIRES TO THE USB MODULE LIKE THIS
IMG_20161230_154754.jpg
AND SOLDERED THE WIRES 3 FOR AUDIO AND ONE FOR RADIO ANTENNA.   FEED THE WIRES INTO THE TOP HALF OF THE UNIT LIKE THIS
AND SOLDERED THE WIRES 3 FOR AUDIO AND ONE FOR RADIO ANTENNA. FEED THE WIRES INTO THE TOP HALF OF THE UNIT LIKE THIS
I USED SOME STEREO JACK LEAD WIRE LIKE THIS
I USED SOME STEREO JACK LEAD WIRE LIKE THIS
solder the wires here
solder the wires here
NOW COMES THE WIRING PART<br />TAKE OFF THE BOTTOM COVER REMOVING THE TWO SCREWS
NOW COMES THE WIRING PART
TAKE OFF THE BOTTOM COVER REMOVING THE TWO SCREWS
NOW YOU NEED TO CUT OUT THIS PIECE WHERE IVE MARKED IT, I USED A DREMMEL WITH A CUTTING DSC ATTACHED. ITLL GIVE MORE ROOM FOR THE PCB BOARD WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK IN .
NOW YOU NEED TO CUT OUT THIS PIECE WHERE IVE MARKED IT, I USED A DREMMEL WITH A CUTTING DSC ATTACHED. ITLL GIVE MORE ROOM FOR THE PCB BOARD WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK IN .
THEN HOLD IT SO IT FITS INTO THE HOLE YOU MADE AND USE A HOT GLUE GUN TO FIX IT IN PLACE YOU CAN SEE WHERE I GLUED THIS ONE WITH 4 DABS OF  GLUE.
THEN HOLD IT SO IT FITS INTO THE HOLE YOU MADE AND USE A HOT GLUE GUN TO FIX IT IN PLACE YOU CAN SEE WHERE I GLUED THIS ONE WITH 4 DABS OF GLUE.
NOW REMOVE THE TWO SCREWS HOLDING THE PCB INTO THE USB MODULE AND TAKE IT OUT, YOU CAN PUT IT BACK IN AFTER YOUVE SOLDERED THE WIRES ON TO IT LATER.
NOW REMOVE THE TWO SCREWS HOLDING THE PCB INTO THE USB MODULE AND TAKE IT OUT, YOU CAN PUT IT BACK IN AFTER YOUVE SOLDERED THE WIRES ON TO IT LATER.
facia 1.jpg
I USED A DREMMEL WITH A CUTTING DISC ATTATCHED TO CUT THIS OUT
(135.17 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
REMOVE 4 SCREWS TWO EACH SIDE AND REMOVE THE FRONT PANEL
REMOVE 4 SCREWS TWO EACH SIDE AND REMOVE THE FRONT PANEL
facia 1.jpg
TO START WE NEED TO MAKE THE HOLE IN THE FACIA A BIT BIGGER
(135.17 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
WHAT YOU WILL NEED<br />1 ,PHILIPS SCREWDRIVER<br />2 ,SOLDERING IRON WITH A SMALL TIP, AND SOLDER WIRE<br />3, A DREMMEL WITH CUTTING DISC<br />4, A HOT GLUE GUN<br />5, SOME WIRE<br />WHAT YOU WILL NEED<br />1 ,PHILIPS SCREWDRIVER<br />2 ,SOLDERING IRON WITH A SMALL TIP, AND SOLDER WIRE<br />3, A DREMMEL WITH CUTTING DISC<br />4, A HOT GLUE GUN<br />5, SOME WIRE
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
1 ,PHILIPS SCREWDRIVER
2 ,SOLDERING IRON WITH A SMALL TIP, AND SOLDER WIRE
3, A DREMMEL WITH CUTTING DISC
4, A HOT GLUE GUN
5, SOME WIRE
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
1 ,PHILIPS SCREWDRIVER
2 ,SOLDERING IRON WITH A SMALL TIP, AND SOLDER WIRE
3, A DREMMEL WITH CUTTING DISC
4, A HOT GLUE GUN
5, SOME WIRE
Last edited by ynot9456 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ynot9456
1.8 8v

Re: HOW TO INSTALL A USB MODULE IN A CLARION CASSETTE PLAYER

Post by ynot9456 »

start with the bottom pic ,for some reason its upside down
ynot9456
1.8 8v

Post by ynot9456 »

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

That seems to fit in there quite nicely. Umm, what is it? :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
ynot9456
1.8 8v

Post by ynot9456 »

its a usb bluetooth hands free module that has the same sound quality as your original radio/cd player
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah sorry, I didn't see your ebay link before I posted. Out of stock just now but that's pretty cheap for what it is, much cheaper than a Yatour or Connects2.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Cheers Tony :-)
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
ynot9456
1.8 8v

Post by ynot9456 »

yeah it looks good too and sounds great ill post a short video from my car in a bit
ynot9456
1.8 8v

Post by ynot9456 »

ynot9456
1.8 8v

Post by ynot9456 »

Attachments
IMG_20170104_165126.jpg
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I have installed one of these in my 607, £4 wasn't a bad price.

The 607 radio is nearly identical to the 406 radio bar the front fascia, which doesn't have as easy an aperture to glue in the modules facia.

Just a few pictures in focus to add some clarity:

The two areas on the bottom of the radio main PCB that wires are soldered to:

Audio connections
power connections

The spring which has to be removed.

Installed:

It works but the volume output is very low, this module has its own volume control but even with it and the phone at full volume the radio has to be turned up to 30 and at that point there is a lot of hiss on the audio. The signal may not be getting amplified on the PCB board, would there be some other location around the tape head that would amplify the audio signal.

Also using the indicated locations for sourcing 12v it seems to be a permanent 12v supply, its too early to say if this is draining much current but I had to remember to turn off the module with the remote, it would be good if this was connected to an ignition 12v supply or even better 12v that comes on and off with the radio.

I also tried to strip down the cassette mechanism to the bare bones, but on my first attempt that mechanism will not work, there appears to be microswitches in there that detect the presence of a tape, the first attempt had the radio searching for a tape and playing audio for a second before trying to change sides. At the moment its best to just remove that spring, it just seems strange to leave a motor running on the radio.
piglet
2.0 Turbo

Re: HOW TO INSTALL A USB MODULE IN A CLARION CASSETTE PLAYER FOR

Post by piglet »

What does this do that an Aux socket won't?
Stream BT audio?
Hands free?
2003 estate Hdi90 Siemens Fully pimped (roofrack&towbar)
seeschloss

Post by seeschloss »

Okay so I stumbled upon this thread and it's not too old, so I could as well give a few details.

I just finished installing a Bluetooth module to my own 406, with a PU-1633A radio, and I can give a bit of advice.

The problem with very low sound and hiss, is because the complete cassette player's circuits are still connected to the unit, so the electric path from your USB module to the radio's audio input channels is not clean. The cassette module can be removed from the main radio unit, but then the radio player will not switch to cassette mode (I tried to find if there was a way to fake it, but it's too complicated). So you have to keep it in place, but cut the RCH and LCH circuits on it.

I don't have pictures now, but there are a few places to do it, after removing the cassette unit, you could cut the two pins at the connector between cassette/main unit, or you can scratch the traces on the PCB (there are easy to see and well indicated) or unsolder the two pins at the top of the cassette unit, which is the most reversible option, but maybe more difficult.

Also, be sure to insulate correctly every solder point you make with electric tape or whatever, because the vibrations of the car will make things move eventually, and you don't want to short anything.

To answer about what this does that an Aux socket won't, well these units don't have an Aux socket in the first place. So what this does, for one, is provide an Aux socket. Then depending on the USB unit it will also provide USB, maybe Bluetooth, anything is possible really. For my part I used a 12V bluetooth module that is completely hidden in the radio so I didn't have to touch the front panel.
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

can i just install audio jack output only with out doing this process?
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

so it means the volume is low, and the connection is not connected on economy mode? any solution on that
FarmerPug wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 pm I have installed one of these in my 607, £4 wasn't a bad price.

The 607 radio is nearly identical to the 406 radio bar the front fascia, which doesn't have as easy an aperture to glue in the modules facia.

Just a few pictures in focus to add some clarity:

It works but the volume output is very low, this module has its own volume control but even with it and the phone at full volume the radio has to be turned up to 30 and at that point there is a lot of hiss on the audio. The signal may not be getting amplified on the PCB board, would there be some other location around the tape head that would amplify the audio signal.

Also using the indicated locations for sourcing 12v it seems to be a permanent 12v supply, its too early to say if this is draining much current but I had to remember to turn off the module with the remote, it would be good if this was connected to an ignition 12v supply or even better 12v that comes on and off with the radio.

I also tried to strip down the cassette mechanism to the bare bones, but on my first attempt that mechanism will not work, there appears to be microswitches in there that detect the presence of a tape, the first attempt had the radio searching for a tape and playing audio for a second before trying to change sides. At the moment its best to just remove that spring, it just seems strange to leave a motor running on the radio.