E10 Unleaded Fuel

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

E10 Unleaded Fuel

Post by Welly »

Has anyone heard of this new Petrol that the UK has agreed to? E10 has 10% Ethanol (currently 5%) and studies have shown the fuel can cause problems in older engines and small basic engines found in garden-type machines. Ethanol can absorb its own weight in water and then 'shed' the excess water into the fuel tank where it sinks to the bottom and can cause problems with the fuel system. There's no date yet when this stuff will be rolled out, the British Standard has been revised so it's ready to go now but retailers are nervous about demand (it went down like a lead balloon in France and Germany). Large retailers must offer E10 alongside 'normal' unleaded at some point.....with the old stuff slowly being phased out. It seems Super Unleaded may be kept going for a while from what I can tell but you just know where this is heading and it's not great if you want to run older cars or motorbikes.

There's also evidence that a car will suffer a drop in performance due to lower Octane rating (92-ish%) and have increased MPG's by up to 10% :roll: but Environmentalists would say that's fine because the Ethanol absorbs CO2 whilst growing in the field :roll:

"Ethanol acts as a solvent and can loosen existing deposits in the fuel system, causing fuel pump, hose, filter and fuel injector blockages. It’s also corrosive to some seals, plastics and metals, and can lead to fuel leaks and even engine failure.

As a general rule, cars built after 2002 will be fine, although there are some exceptions
as recent as 2009. All first-generation direct-injection petrol cars, for example, are incompatible with E10 due to the pump’s aluminium content".

- See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-e10 ... YeFyz.dpuf
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: E10 Unleaded Fuel

Post by rwb »

Sounds like all the familiar biodiesel scare mongering.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Welly wrote:There's also evidence that a car will suffer a drop in performance due to lower Octane rating (92-ish%) and have increased MPG's by up to 10%
decreased economy from what that site says... http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/car-e10 ... ts/1229024 (dacia sandero -11.5%, hyundai i30 -9.8%, prius+ -6.4%, mini paceman -5.9%)

Apparently Peugeot say that it shouldn't be used in cars with XU engines, but of course we all know that all petrol's the same so it's clearly bs :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly

Post by Welly »

Sorry, I meant 'worsened' fuel consumption, like 10% worse but it came out wrong.

The 406 HPi won't run on this stuff, nor will *lots* of VAG cars with FSi engines :oops:

I looked at Volvo compatibility and it says any Volvo-engine'd Volvo from 1976 will run on E10 :o I don't like the sound of this stuff and certainly don't want to test it to see what happens.
Cars in my care:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I can imagine this causing massive issues with people who just pick up a pump and fill. People who think petrol is petrol.

Surely if they wanted to lower CO2 emmisions then they would say all new Petrol cars in 3 years time must be able to run on E100! And they would say that in 3 years all diesel cars must be capable of running on B100.

Anyway I'm not worried! It's only an extra 2.5litres of ethanol per 50litre tank! And I've been told by a member in ere you won't be able to tell the difference! 8)
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Bailes1992 wrote:I can imagine this causing massive issues with people who just pick up a pump and fill. People who think petrol is petrol.

Surely if they wanted to lower CO2 emmisions then they would say all new Petrol cars in 3 years time must be able to run on E100! And they would say that in 3 years all diesel cars must be capable of running on B100.

Anyway I'm not worried! It's only an extra 2.5litres of ethanol per 50litre tank! And I've been told by a member in ere you won't be able to tell the difference! 8)
Saucer of milk for table two :lol: ,
Yeah it rot's the crap out of bike tanks, because the water sit's under the (petrol) if you can call it that :roll:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

It's mandatory here in NSW:

http://www.biofuels.nsw.gov.au/legislation
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Bailes1992 wrote:Surely if they wanted to lower CO2 emmisions then they would say all new Petrol cars in 3 years time must be able to run on E100! And they would say that in 3 years all diesel cars must be capable of running on B100
Ideally that's what they should do - find a suitable alternative fuel, make it worth producing, force car manufacturers to use it, and sell it alongside regular petrol+diesel with a different coloured nozzle (green=unleaded, black=diesel, yellow=unicorn juice) for at least 10 years before allowing garages to phase out legacy fuels based on commercial demand. The trouble with current biofuel is there's not the supply to meet the demand that would be created - someone's got to grow the crops to make biofuel, and if they're making biofuel, they're not using the land for anything else, like making food: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/m ... ableenergy

Unfortunately, politicians like knee-jerk reactions and instant results, no matter how damaging
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly

Post by Welly »

Why not put Solar Panels in the fields and we can charge up our Electric Cars.........oh wait.

Does anyone else think that with all these Solar Panels absorbing our sunshine that the UK will cool down? :?
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It'll heat up - all these solar panels are black...

I'm afraid I can't comment on the E10 thing as all the cars here already run on 50% pig piss :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Can't see what all the fuss is about - it will obviously run perfectly in any engine, unless you fill up at a supermarket.

Don't you guys listen? :roll:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

Welly wrote: There's also evidence that a car will suffer a drop in performance due to lower Octane rating (92-ish%)
There is no such evidence, since 95 RON E10 has exactly the same octane rating as 95 RON E5 and 95 RON straight petrol. Ethanol actually has a relatively high octane rating, so it would make no sense at all for the octane rating to drop when more ethanol is added.

However, ethanol has a lower energy density than petrol, which is probably what you meant. In most cases, fuel-injected engines with a functioning O2 sensor will compensate for this, by making the fuel:air mixture slightly richer compared to what is needed for straight petrol. Hence more fuel by volume is needed, which translates to slightly worse fuel mileage by volume. This will cost you a tiny bit extra at the pump, since we pay for fuel by volume, not by energy content.

Most cars are sufficiently overspecced in the fuel pump and injector compartments that going to E10 wont be a problem in that regard. Tuned cars may need to have higher-flow pumps and bigger injectors put in. Carbed vehicles will need to be rejetted unless they were tuned with a decent safety margin.

The biggest issue still lies with materials. Some rubbers simply perish when exposed to ethanol, and Audi/VW really should have known better with the FSI engines at that point. It's not like they didn't know ethanol was coming. Or perhaps both the 406 HPi and the Audi/VW FSI engines use the same Bosch fuel pump? In which case, Bosch really should have known better.
Welly wrote:I looked at Volvo compatibility and it says any Volvo-engine'd Volvo from 1976 will run on E10 :o I don't like the sound of this stuff and certainly don't want to test it to see what happens.
Both Volvo and Saab were first-movers when it came to adopting ethanol. Most of their cars could be ordered as "flex fuel" versions, which could run on both normal petrol and E85. I don't know if any E100-capable versions were built. I don't know if this flex fuel option is still available, I haven't specced out a new car in ages.

On the slightly less affordable end of the scale, all of Koenigsegg's cars are flex fuel. The Agera R makes 960hp on 95 RON and 1140hp on E85, thanks to both the higher octane rating. which allows running more advanced timing, and the cooling effect that ethanol has.
dirtydirtydiesel wrote:Yeah it rot's the crap out of bike tanks, because the water sit's under the (petrol) if you can call it that :roll:
Never had a problem on my bikes. Then again, I actually ride them instead of just bringing them out for a 10km trip every other month like some people do. Even then, I've had petrol sitting in the tank of my old carbed bike over the winter with no issues at all. Two weeks ago, I primed the carbs, put the choke on full and she started up in less than 10 cranks and ran perfectly fine on that 4-month-old petrol. The newer fuel-injected bike took 3 cranks, exactly the same as on a warm summer's day with fresh petrol in the tank. No rust in either of those bikes' tanks, either.

I know that some bikes such as Ducatis with their plastic fuel tanks have had problems with swelling and deformed tanks. Then again, those bikes were designed and built after everyone knew that ethanol was coming, so it's really a screwup on Ducati's part.

As an addendum, second generation biofuels are not made from food crops or crops that need to grow on land capable of bearing food crops. They are made from plant and animal waste that would otherwise go unused.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
pug406nz
1.8 16v

Post by pug406nz »

I kind of skim read most of the posts but over here in NZ, we have one petrol station (Gull) who provides 'Gull Force 10' which is 98RON and 10% Ethanol. Most car enthusiasts know that this is the best petrol you can put in your car in NZ. Its better for your engine, provides a clean burn and actually increases performance. However, compared to other 98RON petrols, the ethanol blend petrol has a lower fuel economy but probably still more than 95RON or 91RON.
I will never put anything other than Gull 98RON 10% ethanol blend in my cars anymore, especially the ones with the ES9J4S (They respond very well it).
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

I don't think my car will be too happy on it, it's got the Mitsubishi direct injection petrol engine. Bugger!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
Welly

Post by Welly »

Don't worry teamy, 'normal' fuel will be available for years yet.
Cars in my care: