'Must do' things to the 406?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

BruceT
2.0 Turbo

'Must do' things to the 406?

Post by BruceT »

This is my first Peugeot so very new to all things Pug.

Just wandering if there are 'must do' things to do to the 406, more importantly the HDi.

One thing on both of ours are the engine cover clips. Currently both held on with cable ties :mrgreen:

Do things like the 406 Couple strut brace make much difference to the turn in/handling?

Tomorrow i'll claying her, polishing and waxing her ready for winter so will post some pictures of her later tomorrow.

So what are you guys first things you did to your 406?

I do have knocking sound from the front which appears to be both offside and nearside so hoping its just drop links or something simple.
His: 1990 Volkswagen Golf II 1.8 GTi 8v.
Hers: 2000 "W" 406 Estate GLX HDi 90 (Bosch) @ 150k
http://www.gsdoc.co.uk German Shepherd Dog Owners Club
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: 'Must do' things to the 406?

Post by jasper5 »

Bruce, to fix on those engine covers, buy some Renault exhaust bobbins (mountings), nuts and washers, they have the correct thread to screw into the existing mounting bolt holes. Fasten the covers on with the nuts and washers, I doubt very much if they will ever break off again.I've repaired loads of these and never had a comeback.

Sounds like you have drop link/anti roll bar link rod faults.
BruceT
2.0 Turbo

Post by BruceT »

Something similar to this for the engine cover?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/peugeot-206-306-4 ... 286.c0.m14

Yeh it doesnt seem to wander under braking just over uneven surfaces and small bumps.

Im getting some new tyres in the next few weeks as one on the wear markers and the other is a brand iver never heard of :x

Also need a new external temp sensor, new discs and pads for the front and a service!
His: 1990 Volkswagen Golf II 1.8 GTi 8v.
Hers: 2000 "W" 406 Estate GLX HDi 90 (Bosch) @ 150k
http://www.gsdoc.co.uk German Shepherd Dog Owners Club
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I meant normal 6mm nuts and washers with the Renault mountings, but you could buy those wing nuts from a car shop or engineers supplier.
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Rear anti-roll bar bushes seem to be commonly overlooked too.

The strut brace doesn't make much difference on stock suspension. Mine's been fitted the whole time I've had mine lowered Lowered months after fitting brace) so no comparison then either. One thing, it doesn't fit without modifying it with a sodding big hammer to clear the under bonnet supports. Lowering it has made a massive difference to the driving experience with the car feeling much more planted round the twisties, but I did replace the front droplinks and both front and rear anti-roll bar bushes at the same time. It also hasn't made the car much more harsh over the bumpy stuff (which we have plenty of round here on the country roads).
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
Bundy
1.8 16v

Post by Bundy »

HimBigChief wrote:Lowering it has made a massive difference to the driving experience with the car feeling much more planted round the twisties, but I did replace the front droplinks and both front and rear anti-roll bar bushes at the same time. It also hasn't made the car much more harsh over the bumpy stuff (which we have plenty of round here on the country roads).
Agreed. I've lowered every car i've owned, just about, and can honestly say none of them has ever seen even 50% of the transformation that the 406 saw. The main thing i noticed was the HUGE reduction in dive when you're braking, mine hardly dives at all now. General cornering is improved massively too. Virtualy no body roll and the wallowing when you hit a bump mid corner is gone now too. Strange thing though, is that my parents have a 406 as well and both of them say mine is more comfortable to be in than thiers and thiers is on standard suspension. I can only assume this is because the improvement in bump control which has removed most of the.. wibbling? you get from the standard jelly like, sky high boingers has stopped the whole car moving around over bumps. You feel it then it gone, no more wobbling 3-4 seconds after a bump.
Man: What shall i wear?
Woman: Oh for god sake, you're not a child, i'm sure you can dress yourself!
5 mins later.
Man: Right then, what do you think?
Woman: You're not seriously going to wear THAT are you?
Man: Well i did ask you!
woman: <sigh> Come on, let's go dress you PROPERLY...
Man: WELL I DID ASK YOU!
swiss
3.0 24v

Post by swiss »

Whip the black vinyl off the door pillars. Amazing improvement.
The man with no car

"Close the door on your way out, and don't forget your monkey."