Slowing things down (driving)

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

DaiRees
Site Admin

Re: Slowing things down (driving)

Post by DaiRees »

I've been driving steadily for years, it's very rare that I go much above any speed limit, I tend to set the cruise to limit + 5-10% (indicated, which in reality is limit -<5%) and sit back to enjoy the ride. I sometimes drive robustly and progressively up to the limit when needed, I'm not scared of the loud pedal, am courteous and considerate yet take no sh*t from other road users and, importantly, don't get flustered.

Really pisses me off when people get annoyed in traffic or drive like total dicks to get ahead of one extra car in the queue, try to join motorways without using the slip road to match speed, lane hog or chop, tailgate, don't indicate, have no lane discipline, use roundabouts incorrectly.... etc. Tw@s!!!! :evil:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

It annoys me to, but I don't have the energy to get worked up about it anymore - as long as they don't actually hit me. 8)

Peter
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I tend to have little splurts now and again but generally take my time. Most of my driving is for work so taking my time to try save fuel is usually the name of the game.
Back and fore Bournemouth I tend to set my speed limiter at 75mph but cruise using the accelerator at 65-70mph just edging over to hurry up overtakes.

I'm quite looking forward to autonomous cars because I think driving will become more relaxed. Certainly would be easier for me. I could set off from my house at 3am and go back to sleep for the remainder of the journey.

Currently being pissed off my the mindless tossers (usually women in FWD SUV's) sticking in the middle lane. I always keep left and I end up approaching a lorry at 70mph unable to move out because someone is sat in the middle lane next to me doing the same speed. :roll:

Another thing currently annoying me is people who are totally unable to merge off a slip road onto a motorway or a dual carriageway or even the way people react to others trying to merge.
Usually either the person trying to merge can't speed match and either pulls out cutting others up or ends up slamming on their brakes at the end of the slip road because they're going to slow to merge or you'll be driving behind someone in the inside lane who feels it totally appropriate to slam their brakes on to allow someone else out. :evil:

One thing I have noticed since lowering my car is my fuel economy on average over the last 3 fills has increased by around 6mpg. :cheesy:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

We have a different problem with 4WD vehicles here, we have a lot of narrow lanes and as often as not its us that has to pull off the road into the mud to let them past - they don't want to get their wheels dirty!

Lack of sense coming off slip roads seems to be a perennial problem everywhere, I would think something like 50% of motorists don't know how to join a motorway/dual carriageway correctly.

Peter