How's this for bad luck?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

How's this for bad luck?

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

It never rains, but it pours! That's what happens whenever I stick my head out of my little cave. Read this sorry saga and weep, weep like the damned:

I bought my 406 SRi turbo for ?850. Insurance is only ?20 per month more than my old Hyundai Accent. Bargain, right? Okay, keep reading.

The car was running just a leeeetle bit rough when I got it. I realised I'd bought the car for ?300 less than the model's top value so I expected a bit of tuning would be required. I thought that, over time, I'd replace any broken bits with performance parts.

So first of all I have the car diagnosed. Knackered lambda sensor, clogged fuel filter, not too bad, had the work done. Car running slightly rough still and getting worse as the days roll by. Concerned, I had ANOTHER diagnostic performed: the timing was knackered to the point where my belt almost snapped and my pistons bent the exhaust vents slightly. Cost to diagnose and replace entire timing system, as well as install yet another lambda sensor: ?250.

Still reading?

My engine is running far better now I've upgraded to performance spark plugs. There's no flat spot any more, it starts ok most days, it's lively on the motorway, but due to the valves is lacking a bit of mid-range sparkle. I can live with that. I've just had a superb quote of ?200 to supply the parts and do all the work required to replace my valves at a local garage. (Bear in mind how much I've already spent modding and repairing the car.) So this isn't a priority yet.

I've been onto my insurance company - Admiral - to advise them about my dump valve. I've been lax about this as the company I was with for my last 406 didn't charge me for any of my mods.

Admiral have told me that my dump valve renders my insurance invalid! Apparently it "slightly increases acceleration by improving turbo response time"!!! So I asked them what a bodykit would do to my policy, and it would increase my premium by ?33 A YEAR!

What bloody world are they on??

To cap it all, my dump valve is now buggering up, and I threw the standard one away two months ago!!

Is this going to get any worse? Let's wait and see!
ImageImage
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Re: How's this for bad luck?

Post by turbolag »

=|[PsychoPoet406]|= wrote:Apparently it "slightly increases acceleration by improving turbo response time"!!!
They're twats mate, that's urban myth! They were developed to protect intercoolers from violent pressure changes on rally cars with anti lag systems (where raw fuel is dumped into the turbo) and the only effect the have on a normal cars it the farting noise. As your car doesn't have anti lag and an ECU capable of retarding the ignition 60 or more degrees to cope, it won't do bugger all 'cept sound fruity.

And, by the governmnts TRLs own statistics, a cars performance bears no relation to your likely hood of having an accident, so it has no effect on your level of risk.

They're just twats. The AA are no better - they didn't even recognise that a '99 406 HDi even existed, taking letters from ClubPeugeot, the PSOOC, Riverside Peugeot, Perrys Peugeot and photocopies of the Haynes manual before the to55ers would admit it is a real car and does exist.

Me very angry now..... :shock:
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Poet DUDE ! ! ! !

YOu need not inform them of the BOV and infact the car comes with a standard fit BOV, so it shouldn't make any difference to the policy, state that to them.... a BOV is there to prevent compressor stalling at high revs through back pressure when the throttle is closed during gear changes, it allows you to maintain a positive boost through gear changes and hence ensures no major lag problems occur.

I'd tell them to kiss your a$$ and remove any charges they have added for the disclosure of the BOV.
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
Foxy
Forum Admin<BR>Know it all

Post by Foxy »

Took the words right out of my mouth, theres a standard dump valve so how can they charge a premium?! Lunacy!
Used to own the finest 406 in the UK - RIP
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Its because of crap like this and other bad experiences with my insurance, that I leave the engine the hell alone on my 406. Well that, and the want of a reliable run around. If an engines done 100Kmiles as it has, why screw around with it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Doesn;t apply to Psychos predicament)

I also enjoy the benefits of the standard bodykit; its less pinchworthy appeal and the insurance.
This is why any mods I have done are standard Peugeot touches. Nothing more.
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

I'm completely taken aback by Admiral's stance, and to be honest I am coming around to Blue's point of view: modifying a 406 is looking too much like a wasted effort. What's the point when it invalidates my insurance?
ImageImage