Paying for mods

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Paying for mods

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

So when people buy big flash mods like full bodykit, 18" alloys, full exhaust system plus other funky stuff, how do they pay for it all? Do they get a giant bank loan or live in sin with their credit cards?

It's just that I've always found myself having so many outgoings every month I have never been able to lash out loads on my cars. I always get annoyed when I see fully kitted-out Kas roaring past.
ImageImage
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

smaller stuff, say up to ?200, i pay off me debit card as and when I buy. Priceir stuff, such a big rims, i'll save the ?200 each month until i've got enuff and then do the deed. I hate loans and credit cards - I earn little enuff as it is without paying interest to some poncey desk jockey!
Malachy
2.2 16v

Post by Malachy »

my car everything i have paid for in cash as i have it spare.
if i cant afford the part i need ill wait a week or two until i can, rather than buy cheaper parts.
so far my conversion is expensive :p

engine ?350
new clutch ?70
derv gearbox ?100
injectors ?80
ecu ?300 (total with mods + import taxes)
wideband o2 (lambda) ?300 (changed to innovate from the tech edge so i can sell the tech edge and regain some money back)
brembo callipers ?150 (will need disks+ pads+ adaptor plates making so budgeting another ?150)
intercooler ?50
intercooler pipework ?120
exhaust ?200
Alloys ?200 (although need 2 new tyres Avon zz3's ?53 a piece from camskill)
pushbutton start ?20
air filter ?30
air filter pipework ?20
dump valve ?50
1.9 gti cam ?15
Ford edis ignition with waterjet cut trigger wheel ?70
Bilstien streetline suspension frnt and rear ?350
Phase 3 dashboardand clocks ?30 (need to wire these in yet)
Self designed engine bay fusebox/relaybox ?120 from Vehicle wiring products (expensive but does a nice job of getting rid of the pug multirelay and fuses everything unlike standard)
Knock detection kit for ecu ?60
Cambelt +waterpump + tensioner = ?80 (i think cant remember exact price)
plugs + leads ?25

I am sure there is more but thats just of the top of my head, fluids etc + lots of tooling (new engine crane + load leveller for example)
and i expect i have about twice as much to spend again yet to get what i want from the car (circa 300bhp 16v turbo, retrim and phase3 frontend) this is just step one next is to go 16v then its the retrim + respray will take me 2-3 years to finish i expect

when i was 18 i got a credit card and ended up getting arather large limit ?10,000 capping that out learnt me that credit cards are evil :P
1996 306cab with a few mods
1997 Mercedes C230 Kompressor sport