Marriage

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

adamr8965
2.0 16v

Marriage

Post by adamr8965 »

Hey all, me and my good lady have been together for 10yrs this May and we got engaged many years ago. Now i never thought i would get old (but i am) and she's been droning on about getting married now. I have mixed ideas about this because some people it would say it might fall apart after a few months. Or we'd be very happy.

We not having anything to big just a small do.

Whats peoples thoughts? should i stop worrying and married?
1999 1.9 td lx saloon.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Marriage

Post by Doggy »

Definition:

A bathchelor is someone who never made the same mistake once.

Seriously, I don't think anyone can tell you - it depends entirely on what it means to the two of you.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

adamr8965 wrote:Hey all, me and my good lady have been together for 10yrs this May and we got engaged many years ago. Now i never thought i would get old (but i am) and she's been droning on about getting married now. I have mixed ideas about this because some people it would say it might fall apart after a few months. Or we'd be very happy.

We not having anything to big just a small do.

Whats peoples thoughts? should i stop worrying and married?
Marriage changes nothing mate,
ignore what people say about it changes this an that its a load of bollarx,

women moan winge and groan wether your married or not :|

isome times wished imarried a nice forieghn bird tho that way icarnt understand what the feck she moaning on about :oops:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

My good lady and I will have been shackled, sorry, blissfully wed for 12 years in April, we were together for 9 years before that so that's 21 in total, more time with her than without her :shock: .

Since the kids have come along and we're both working full time, demanding jobs, I sometimes feel as though she's that bird that lives in the same house as me, you know, the one who's already asleep when I go to bed, already downstairs when I wake up, playing with the kids in the living room when I'm working in the back room, ironing in the kitchen when I go into the living room to play with the kids, I do still recognise her when we pass in the hall though :D . But when we get a bit of time away from the stresses of daily life it's still magic :oops:

The secret of a happy marriage is just to get on with it :wink:

Word of caution though, my bro married his high school sweetheart after about 10 years, 5 of which were spent living together. The marriage lasted 9 months, so that can and does happen sometimes! :(
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

I've been married 8 years in July and I've got no regrets, I wouldn't change a thing :) We were courting for about a year prior to that.
It certainly doesn't feel any different but be warned; when you go for a drink with your mates the girls home in on blokes wearing a wedding ring :cheesy:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

lozz wrote:
isome times wished imarried a nice forieghn bird tho that way icarnt understand what the feck she moaning on about :oops:
I did that mate, its all the same in any language :roll:

it was the best thing i have ever done by the way, been together now for 5 years, i work hard she works hard we have a child and when we get us time its still cracking good fun.

i wanted to kill her on a weekly basis before we got married and i still do now so im saying for me it changed nowt.
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

teamster1975 wrote:when you go for a drink with your mates the girls home in on blokes wearing a wedding ring
Why do they do that ... they should have been homing in on the guys who don't have wedding rings. Less frustrating for us married guys, and it would have made the pre-marriage bit considerably more fun :roll:
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

highlander wrote:
teamster1975 wrote:when you go for a drink with your mates the girls home in on blokes wearing a wedding ring
Why do they do that ... they should have been homing in on the guys who don't have wedding rings. Less frustrating for us married guys, and it would have made the pre-marriage bit considerably more fun :roll:
Why do they do that ...coz they most probs see it as a challenge :roll:

or they couid be just Dirdy slaigs :P
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It's like a stamp of approval, single guys are sad and to be avoided but a guy with a wedding ring must be perfect because someone married him. Fact.

Damn, and I didn't want one :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I've been married twice, the first time for 13 years, wasn't easy as we married young....my first wife is no longer with us....

I've been married for the second time for almost 24 years....again, hasn't been easy, but life isn't meant to be I guess.

I don't see anything changing as we are doing alright.

In my opinion, the only difference in being married, as opposed to living together, are the legal things.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

the legal things confuse me and thats why i dont really see any need for marriage, its really there if you deeply religious. My parents divorced so my judgement on marriage is perhaps altered by this.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

What legal stuff? Signing forms, all that guff? Or the bit where she gets everything if you divorce? Don't worry, that's only if you have kids.

When you're just living together you both know where the door is, if you're married you have a bit of paper that says you can't use it... Ok, 2 years ago Croatia changed all the rules and decided I had to spend 6 months of every 12 out of the country. The only way I could get to stay here was if I married my girlfriend, who I'd been with for 4 years. I too was worried that it would change everything but without any choice in the matter I decided to keep it as small an affair as possible - just us, the registrar and translator. My wife had other ideas of course, invited her closest friends and arranged a big meal (which I had to pay for :( ) Still, there was only about 15 of us, some of the weddings here have 100s :shock:

It doesn't appear to have changed anything. Phew.

Perhaps this is what you need to tell your other half - "we've been together so long and I'm happy the way things are, I'm worried that marriage will change to much and I've heard stories of people that had been together for many years but spilt up just after they married."
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

There's an old saying about marriage which I like........it goes......"A man kisses his Girlfriend because he wants to, but kisses his Wife because he has to" :|
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:the legal things confuse me and thats why i dont really see any need for marriage, its really there if you deeply religious. My parents divorced so my judgement on marriage is perhaps altered by this.
idont think it as anything to do with Religion Now adays,
igot married because We wanted too No body made us -

My parents divorced when iwas 12 iwitnessed years of Violence which was both ways not nice to live with but icame to terms with it,
Just because your parents wasnt a Perfect match dont let it put you off ,

Marriage dosent change things but it does show your comited to each other ..
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

My parents divorced when I was 8, that was in 1979 and was *very* rare - in fact I think I was the only kid in the entire Primary School in that position and even the Teachers didn't know how to deal with it with tact or any care. Other friends gave us all a wide berth too :roll:

There were just as many affairs and misdemeanours going on as today in marriage but men and women were much less able to do anything about it (especially women who were almost tied to the Kitchen sink and 'put up' with whatever the man did).

My own marriage has not exactly been a bed of roses but we're still hanging in there and in fact things are getting much better as we get older (she 42, me 39) there have been many times where either one of us would have cheerfully jumped ship but with two tea-pot lids to care for we strived to keep the family unit intact. The kids are great and I have high hopes for their futures which may not have been the case had I not been there. My biggest worry is what to do when the kids are gone :? Plan A is a Black Labrador, B is a Harley-Davidson and C is a Thai Bride and a flat in Peckham :lol: :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work